CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Pass. seat stuck, nd to fix but how? Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Mercedes C300 RWD Gas, 4cyl Turbo, Lunar Blue
Pass. seat stuck, nd to fix but how? Help!

Regarding '01 CLK 430 Convertible,

The passenger seat's fwd/rev motor is stuck and access to the some of the mounting rail bolts is blocked by the seat. How do I get to the motor if I can't take the seat out?

I'm assuming the motor is bad, or there's an obstruction, since the motor "clicks" when the switch is operated, but the seat doesn't move. All other seat adjustment functions work properly.

Is there any way to get at the motor without removing the seat, perhaps by removing the cushion? It's pretty tight quarters and before I tear the whole thing apart *****-nilly, I was hoping to find a simpler solution.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 clk 430
i had this problem with my car, when they went into the motor they found a penny in inbetween the railing that got stuck and almost melted... anyways kinda costly and very hard to take the seat out and deal with all the electric gizmo crap in our benzos
Old 12-04-2007, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430, SC430, RX330

I've had this problem with my driver's seat and front passenger's seat for the last couple years. My seat gets stuck every couple of months. I guess its pretty common for the track to wear down and the motor seizes or gets stuck on the worn track.

First thing I do is check the fuse in the trunk. So far I've had that fuse burn out twice and I check that first since its the easiest fix.

Both of my front seats frequently have the problem where I get the click noise but no movement when trying to make the seat go forward or back. Usually after a couple days of hitting the switch it will all of a sudden start working on its own and be good for another couple months.

Last week my driver seat got stuck again and it was in an extremely far forward position. I spent about 15 minutes hitting the switch back and forth and all I got was the click. I took a hammer and lightly (very lightly) tapped the track and it seemed to do the trick. I guess it was enough to get the thing unstuck. Try that and let me know if it works for you.

I avoid the stealership at all costs and have had a couple independant shops take a look at the seat problem. So far it hasn't become inconvenient enough for me to spend the money for a more permanent fix. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Mercedes C300 RWD Gas, 4cyl Turbo, Lunar Blue
Half-way there. Fuse #9 in trunk was blown..

but the motor may need to be replaced, as the seat still has trouble moving normally and a little white smoke appears. Next step is to pull it out and take a closer look. Thanks for the helpful info.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
It's not difficult. There is a thread in this forum about this issue while ago. All you need to do is un-screw the 4 nuts, un-plug all the wires, turn the seat over un-screw the motor and replace it with a good one.

That is it! that was what I had done before!