CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need some help with the stereo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Need some help with the stereo

I just got my car back from the shop and the wiring was reworked to fix my factory CD changer after my car was rear ended. Looks like they moved some wiring around because my aftermarket sub is no longer playing. I have the factory head unit in place and was curious what wires I should be tapping into to get a signal output from the receiver for the sub's amplifier. The amp itself is getting power and the remote lead seems to be working fine. Pics would be a bonus if anyone has any. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would check out your RCAs first. The only thing that "talks" to your amp from

the HU is the RCAs and remote wire. I take it you have a converter box for the

RCAs to work with the stock HU, check all the connections with that as well.

Last edited by falls profet; 12-06-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:49 PM

Thanks, yeah I do have a convertor box for the RCAs. The RCAs were in great shape with no frayed wiring insulation or issues that I could see. Could the RCA convertor box have failed? I can't imagine it has too many internal parts but then again, I haven't ruled it out. All connections are solid.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
B, I would take the sub out of the box and check the wiring on it. Since the amp is receiving a signal and turning on, this means the HU is communicating with the amp so I don't think that's where your problems is. You're saying the sub doesn't come on at all? No sound, nothing? If you have a DMM check the terminals on the sub too.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:56 PM

Thats a good call! I actually grabbed a speaker from my home entertainment system to hook it up to and rule the speaker out of the equation. The remote power lead works fine, its the signal from the RCAs that I'm not getting which means the signal from the HU may not be getting to the amp. A faulty RCA convertor could be the issue at this point. Heck, I even tried another amp to rule out the possibility of a bad amp. I don't think the shop disconnected the wiring as there is still a solid connection, but still no sound. Will a DMM pick up any signal from the RCAs coming from the HU? The RCA convertor is and always has been spliced into the wiring in the trunk.

Originally Posted by falls profet
B, I would take the sub out of the box and check the wiring on it. Since the amp is receiving a signal and turning on, this means the HU is communicating with the amp so I don't think that's where your problems is. You're saying the sub doesn't come on at all? No sound, nothing? If you have a DMM check the terminals on the sub too.