MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W208) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208-5/)
-   -   Shaking problem persists after maf & mouts (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/226907-shaking-problem-persists-after-maf-mouts.html)

Focus on this 1 01-17-2008 09:33 PM

Shaking problem persists after maf & mouts

Alright so I had all the symptoms of a bad maf + CEL , and pulled the codes it gave me 0171 or 0173. I cleaned the maf and reset the codes. All was fine for 1 week before the symptoms came back (without CEL ) so I decided to buy a new maf and installed it myself and I still have the same problems.

-on drive idle is at 600-700
-idle on park is about at 1000
-when at a red light engine shakes ( not engine mouts or tranny mouts already changed)
-at red light idle fluctuates from about 600 to 700
-lack of power

So my question is do I have to get my computer reset after installing the new maf so it takes in charge there is a new maf ? or what else could it be? cleaning throttle? spark plugs?:smash:

qed_stretch 01-18-2008 01:59 PM

your probably feeling your vibration from your harmonic balancer.

Amir_AMG 01-18-2008 02:46 PM

could be fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs...get them all checked...also if ur not using premium fuel it can significantly reduce performance and trigger a CEL...

TresX 01-18-2008 03:12 PM

What's your mileage? I would guess plugs....

Focus on this 1 01-18-2008 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by TresX (Post 2605380)
What's your mileage? I would guess plugs....

I have about 140 miles , If its the plugs shouldt I have a CEL indicating misfire in one of the cylinders?

tbenz 01-18-2008 05:15 PM

You Should Just Bring It To A Dealer And Have Them Look At It,, Might Be Something Simple,,

TresX 01-18-2008 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Focus on this 1 (Post 2605573)
I have about 140 miles , If its the plugs shouldt I have a CEL indicating misfire in one of the cylinders?

Well....yes. But at 140k miles, if you haven't done so, changing the plugs will make a world of difference. My other guess for the lack/loss of power and shaking at idle would be a vacuum leak somewhere....(but that would probably trigger a CEL as well......so my answer is...I don't know.....:nix:

Focus on this 1 01-18-2008 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by qed_stretch (Post 2605223)
your probably feeling your vibration from your harmonic balancer.

whats the harmonic balancer? and its causes the car to shake? and troubles the idle?

ratha67 01-18-2008 07:03 PM

You sure that MAF you got off Ebay for $50 was new? That's pretty cheap and there are people selling their bad/used/cleaned MAFs on Ebay as new. Also did you put in a Bosch MAF? I've heard that the cheap chinese imitation MAFs give people a lot of trouble too.

Focus on this 1 01-18-2008 09:21 PM

well here is the one I got

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=130185188376

it looked brand new and it smelled too lol

tbenz 01-18-2008 09:39 PM

with a high idle like that it could be a vacuum leak, ck around the maf sensor for any leaks, i still think your best bet is to bring it to the dealer and let them diag your problem, all we can do is guess:nix: guessing can get expensive

riannausa 01-18-2008 10:08 PM

Hi!

OMG! we have the exact same problem. everytime im on a red light the car shakes and poor power! i changed my fuel filter and so far i havent felt it shake severely like it used to... yet. i still gives me small vibrations which i can stand. try the fuel filter.

ratha67 01-18-2008 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Focus on this 1 (Post 2605938)
well here is the one I got

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=130185188376

it looked brand new and it smelled too lol

looks like you got a brand new, made in Germany, non-OEM part. The description says its generic and not Bosch. But who knows... That might be just as good. I doubt they would be selling new parts that don't work. I'm all for saving a buck. The crappy ones I heard of were the ones made in China.

Focus on this 1 01-18-2008 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by riannausa (Post 2606010)
OMG! we have the exact same problem. everytime im on a red light the car shakes and poor power! i changed my fuel filter and so far i havent felt it shake severely like it used to... yet. i still gives me small vibrations which i can stand. try the fuel filter.

I went to see my mechanic today , I have an appointement monday but till then he told me to try the fuel injection cleaner.... Ill see monday for the fuel filter hopefully its the fuel filter:rolleyes:

shan12 01-21-2008 01:29 AM

Mine did the same at about 104k and I had a guy listen to it and you could hear the miss. It was real hard to hear also. I replaced plugs, wires, and cleaned the fuel injection and it went away. Then 10k later the maf went out. No problems since. When starting it you could hear it make a ping noise and could barely hear the miss. Now it does not do this.

bacardy703 02-27-2008 02:06 PM

another symptom - electrical burning smell?

I just changed out my MAF as well and my shaking problem did not go away. Mechanic said there's no vacuum leak, wires & plugs are 2 months old, motor mount is solid, alternator is good, battery is new, fuel filter is new.

I admit, the car has driven better after getting these major tune up compenents replaced, BUT it's just not at 100% yet with this persistently annoying shaking at idle.

One more thing I notice is in the morning when I start the car for the first time i smell a brief electrical burning smell then I hear a light humming sound from under the car. Not sure if this is a major concern or what. Anyone have anything similar happen?

CLK FAN 02-27-2008 02:35 PM

There is one more thing that you have over looked and so has who ever has been doing your work...THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR. When it goes bad you will have shaking as well as strange power loss while driving. This is what my mechanic friend which happens to work as a Mercedes tech at a Mercedes dealer told me. I will be changing mine out as well as many other parts that need to be changed.

Focus on this 1 02-27-2008 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by CLK FAN (Post 2677573)
There is one more thing that you have over looked and so has who ever has been doing your work...THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR. When it goes bad you will have shaking as well as strange power loss while driving. This is what my mechanic friend which happens to work as a Mercedes tech at a Mercedes dealer told me. I will be changing mine out as well as many other parts that need to be changed.

A bad crank position sensor isint suposed to triger the cel?

CLK FAN 02-27-2008 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Focus on this 1 (Post 2678171)
A bad crank position sensor isint suposed to triger the cel?

I haven't read through this entire thread yet but I have no idea what you mean by CEL. The crank position sensor is a suggestion because that's what going on with my car. When I have time to read through the thread I'll respond again.

Focus on this 1 02-27-2008 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by CLK FAN (Post 2678212)

I haven't read through this entire thread yet but I have no idea what you mean by CEL. The crank position sensor is a suggestion because that's what going on with my car. When I have time to read through the thread I'll respond again.

CEL = Check engine light

riannausa 02-28-2008 12:37 AM

ok

Keep us posted if the Crank position sensor works so i can try it on mine so i don't have to get rid of my car. How much does the sucker cost anyways??? Thanks

fixer 02-28-2008 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Focus on this 1 (Post 2604146)
Alright so I had all the symptoms of a bad maf + CEL , and pulled the codes it gave me 0171 or 0173. I cleaned the maf and reset the codes. All was fine for 1 week before the symptoms came back (without CEL ) so I decided to buy a new maf and installed it myself and I still have the same problems.

-on drive idle is at 600-700
-idle on park is about at 1000
-when at a red light engine shakes ( not engine mouts or tranny mouts already changed)
-at red light idle fluctuates from about 600 to 700
-lack of power

So my question is do I have to get my computer reset after installing the new maf so it takes in charge there is a new maf ? or what else could it be? cleaning throttle? spark plugs?:smash:

what size eng have you got? if its a 6 cylinder it could be a coil or the ht leads to one of the cylinders in conjunction with the maf. It would be a good idea also to have the self adaptations reset.

rolling430 02-28-2008 03:10 AM

after reading this, u guys make me think something is wrong with my car too... my car doesn't shake anymore.... but like every day when i start it up in the am, the car starts and the rpm is at about 1000, and then it is like that for like 30-45 seconds, than it drops down to about 600 ish and then i drive it.. someone told me i should not put the car in gear till the rpm drops but is that normal? what should the rpm be at when the car is parked but engine on? what does your guys stuff say when u start the car, i never thought anything was wrong with it. IS it really bad to put the car in gear right after you start it?? is the rpm at 1000 when i start it and then it drops down normal... weird.

DevilsAngel 02-28-2008 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by rolling430 (Post 2679150)
after reading this, u guys make me think something is wrong with my car too... my car doesn't shake anymore.... but like every day when i start it up in the am, the car starts and the rpm is at about 1000, and then it is like that for like 30-45 seconds, than it drops down to about 600 ish and then i drive it.. someone told me i should not put the car in gear till the rpm drops but is that normal? what should the rpm be at when the car is parked but engine on? what does your guys stuff say when u start the car, i never thought anything was wrong with it. IS it really bad to put the car in gear right after you start it?? is the rpm at 1000 when i start it and then it drops down normal... weird.

I start my car everyday before I go to work, and it always is at a higher idle (1200 or so) and then after about 30 seconds it drops to 900-1000. So youre not alone there.

CLKFAN- does the crank position sensor, does that throw off a check engine light when it needs to be replaced? I have the shaking thing too, but not too bad yet, so I'm changing my plugs this weekend to see if that will help it.

Boosted9603 02-28-2008 06:00 PM

It is normal for the cold start idle to be high then drop down.