CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 430: Gear wont go into reverse or park, stuck between N / Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB CLK 430
CLK 430: Gear wont go into reverse or park, stuck between N / Drive

Ok basically the car has treated us fine since we got it used about a year ago. Then 2 months ago the gear began to become increasingly stubborn when trying to park, it would stick at neutral and not go up to the Park position. Now abotu a week ago the gear stopped working in any position besides D or N. The car drives fine besides that. We just can't go into reverse or park. Also the key will not come out. Is this a fuse issue? or do we need to get it to the shop? (Preferred do-it-at home solution over the shop). Thank you.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:21 PM

Happy owner of '98 CLK 320
Perhaps you should start checking the oil of the gearbox.
Newer MB's even have a build-in dipstick.

When can you not remove your key?
When the gear is in another position than "P" or "N"? Cause I don't think you are supposed to be able to do that.

Try to see if there is a difference in removing it when in "N" compared to "P" (if you can shift the gear to that position, I am not quite certain if you cannot shift the gear, or if you can, but the gear just doesnt work in those positions).
Old 05-14-2019, 07:07 PM

Clk430
Same problem did you fix it.

Hi Just wondered if you solved your problem I have a 2001 clk430 and it is doing exactly the same thing.
I find if I can drive away around the block and come back to park it usually will go into reverse and park.
Cheers
Old 05-16-2019, 12:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
CLK 230 Convertible 1999
Might be worth looking at this

Gear Selectors are easy to buy on Ebay. Check partno before ordering.

If your car is like mine, then the key will not remove unless it it is in Park.

it's generally worth checking gearbox oil level anyway, but my first *guess* is there is something not right with the gear selector or the way the gear selector is connected to the gearbox..

Have fun!!
Old 05-17-2019, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w208 3.2
It could very well the be brake sensor, or brake light switch sensor.. because you can put the knob from D to N and from N to D without pressing the brake pedal, but you can't put it in P without pressing it, so if there is anything that's remotely problematic with the car "thinking" that you have your foot on the brake pedal it won't let you put it in P,....aaand you can't remove the key obviously because it's not in P