CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ABS BAS ESP Malfunction??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 CLK 430 Convertible "silkie" (sold), 2010 E350 Sport Sedan (graveyard), new wheels coming soon...
Exclamation ABS BAS ESP Malfunction??

Hey guys, I'm wondering if someone can help me. I've got a '03 CLK 430 Cab.
I was driving along fine, and all of a sudden I get Warning things in the display that says my BAS, ESP and ABS all have malfunctions and I have to visit the Workshop. But everything seems fine with the car, but when I tried to press the EPS button to play around with it it doesn't light up anymore...
does this happen to everyone, ? is it serious? if I take it to Mercedes are they going to charge me up the *** cause I'm a girl or do all this other crap to my car I don't need? Does anyone know what i should do or roughly how much $$$ I'm looking at, or if I can fix it myself (or with a guys help). Thanks much! When it stops raining here I'm gonna post some nice pics of me & my ride.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:16 AM

03 CLK 430 Convertible "silkie" (sold), 2010 E350 Sport Sedan (graveyard), new wheels coming soon...
Okay I just had my roommate look behind me to see if my brake lights were working.. I mean well when I'm in P and I push on the brake pedals some lights will go on other than my just normal lights right? the middle light on the trunk and other lights on the back taillights do not go on.. would this be 100% of why all my ABS BAS ESP malfunction things went all crazy? Or is there something else.... how the hell do I fix my brake lights not going on?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:23 AM

CLK430, SC430, RX330
Sounds like it could be the stop lamp switch which is a pretty common problem with our cars. Its an easy repair you can do yourself.

Just search for a thread on this forum with directions to replace the stop lamp switch. The part cost me $14 from the dealer. The install takes less than 5 minutes.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:44 AM

thanks... so does fixing the stop lamp switch make the brake light thingys come back on?? they don't work right now... i double checked.
and would that thing going out or not working make all my error lights for teh ESP BAS and ABS all come on?
Old 02-14-2008, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When my catalytic converters went out, the BAS, ESP and ABS warnings all showed up. Are you hearing any noise coming from under the car?
Old 02-14-2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by LowRydeR
When my catalytic converters went out, the BAS, ESP and ABS warnings all showed up. Are you hearing any noise coming from under the car?
i don't think so? what kind of noise? would i notice the noise? just the engine..
um... i swear my brake pedal feels different, not bad but just like there is a tiny bit of pressure or resistance .. or a little different than before.

what is a catalytic converter.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you don't hear any noise coming from under the car, then it's probably not your cat. The noise would sound like metal hitting metal. If you want to learn more about catalytic converter go here.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:15 PM

i'm going to kick my car.

so after reading the abs bas esp diy thread, i was definitely going to go and replace the darn stop lamp switch thing, and figured replacing it was better than just taking it out and wiping it off. the parts dept was closed on the weekend, so i hadn't done it yet, and all of a sudden yesterday night, i noticed that it was rather quiet when i started my car and i wasn't flooded with all these beeping flashing blinking warning signs after i started the car and pushed on the brake, and now i don't have the messages anymore and my brake light works fine!
WTF?!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:07 PM

Piece of SH*T
I like how you said at the end of your first posting, "when the weather clears up I'll take a picture of ME and my car" your def gonna get all the boys drooling

As for the problem that your car has/had I'm assuming the switch is either bad or is going out if it's "tweaking" like that. I'd still recommend replacing it considering it's only a $14 part and you wouldn't have to do deal with it anymore. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 PM

CLK430, SC430, RX330
yeh...when my stop lamp switch went out, I didn't replace it for about 6 months and I watched the warning lights turn off and on every couple of weeks.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by CLKonDUBS
I like how you said at the end of your first posting, "when the weather clears up I'll take a picture of ME and my car" your def gonna get all the boys drooling

As for the problem that your car has/had I'm assuming the switch is either bad or is going out if it's "tweaking" like that. I'd still recommend replacing it considering it's only a $14 part and you wouldn't have to do deal with it anymore. Good luck!
i know there's a thread with the car pics, but is there a thread with drivers & their cars? haha we should make one.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by ratha67
yeh...when my stop lamp switch went out, I didn't replace it for about 6 months and I watched the warning lights turn off and on every couple of weeks.
i don't know if this could be related but does it make a difference if u hit a pot hole or something.. u think going over a bad bumb jarred the switch back into place? i thought about why it turned off the other night, and if i hit a bump or something right before it turned on.. i dunno.. damn **** is driving me crazy.