CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

One of three....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
One of three....

Ok so for the past few weeks or so I've been hearing this loud creaking noise, no real clucnking noise everytime I turn left. Just recently it started on occasional right turns. Thinking it could either be one of three things, 1. shocks going bad; 2. tie rods; 3. something with the power steering. I more think it could be 1 or 2. I'm not sure if the shocks have ever been replaced and I guess its just a matter of jacking the car up and taking a look, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has heard the same noise.

Any suggestions??????

Thanks,
DA
Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 PM

1999 CLK430 (sold) 03 CL55
Does the creaking noise come when the car is cold started or warm? I get the same sometimes, but it's come and go, but I get a clicking noise when I turn the wheel sometimes which are the tie-rods, but other then that does it creak when you hit a bump or go over them? (Drive way, ect.)

I think it's 1 or 2 too, power steering would make a loud whine, but then again I'm not a mechanic.

Hope you get it checked out, keep us posted DA.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:38 AM

CLK 430
Had the same problem in the summer.... whenever I turned left it would make a sound. In the beginning the sound came and went, but after the noise would be there constantly. At the dealership they told me it was the tie rod ends( not sure bout this, cus my technical english isnt that good), but all in all it cost me about 140 euros.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Churka
Had the same problem in the summer.... whenever I turned left it would make a sound. In the beginning the sound came and went, but after the noise would be there constantly. At the dealership they told me it was the tie rod ends( not sure bout this, cus my technical english isnt that good), but all in all it cost me about 140 euros.
When you turn in either direction, what kind of sound, does it sound like something is crunching up front or loud clicks. Either way, the way you can tell your tie-rods are going bad is while in park with the car on or off doesnt matter, softly turn the steering wheel left and right not too hard to lock it it's off. If you hear clicking or noise coming under the car up front, the tie-rods are going bad.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:11 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by John 99CLK430
Does the creaking noise come when the car is cold started or warm? I get the same sometimes, but it's come and go, but I get a clicking noise when I turn the wheel sometimes which are the tie-rods, but other then that does it creak when you hit a bump or go over them? (Drive way, ect.)

I think it's 1 or 2 too, power steering would make a loud whine, but then again I'm not a mechanic.

Hope you get it checked out, keep us posted DA.

It makes the noise at both times, when I first start it and after I've been driving for a while. When I'm in park and the car is off or just at idle, I can turn the steering wheel and hear the creaking but no knocking or clunking noise. And ya know I don't think that I"ve actually noticed anything when I go over bumps, but I go over them slow b/c I'm affraid to scratch up my bumper. Only when I'm turning is when I hear the noise. As for the power steering theory, my bf said that it could be just the boot(?) could have a tear and the grease dried up inside, if that makes any sense; when he said it, it made sense to me.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by DevilsAngel
It makes the noise at both times, when I first start it and after I've been driving for a while. When I'm in park and the car is off or just at idle, I can turn the steering wheel and hear the creaking but no knocking or clunking noise. And ya know I don't think that I"ve actually noticed anything when I go over bumps, but I go over them slow b/c I'm affraid to scratch up my bumper. Only when I'm turning is when I hear the noise. As for the power steering theory, my bf said that it could be just the boot(?) could have a tear and the grease dried up inside, if that makes any sense; when he said it, it made sense to me.
Yeah that made sense, it could be the boot because that's what I was told too from my Mechanic and my friends bro who works on his cars when I had the same problem, it could of tore and the grease fluids inside dried up or it leaked and started to make the creak noises. Well to also ensure safety for you, check the tie-rod method too just to see if there okay too. I think it could be the boot cause I get the same just haven't got around to changing them out. Let us know how things turn out when you get her running spiffy again DA.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:10 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by John 99CLK430
Yeah that made sense, it could be the boot because that's what I was told too from my Mechanic and my friends bro who works on his cars when I had the same problem, it could of tore and the grease fluids inside dried up or it leaked and started to make the creak noises. Well to also ensure safety for you, check the tie-rod method too just to see if there okay too. I think it could be the boot cause I get the same just haven't got around to changing them out. Let us know how things turn out when you get her running spiffy again DA.
will do! Hopefully we will be able to check it out this weekend if the weather stays nice. that noise is driving me crazy!!!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 c240
Ball joints IMO.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:22 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by The Jury
Ball joints IMO.
I thought that when the ball joints are bad there is a clunking noise?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:31 PM

CLK 430
Talking

Do you feel your car sway when you change lanes going atleast 50 or so mph? If so, it could be one of three things. Inner or outer tie rod or the steering box. But if you are barely rolling and turning sharp, it could be the ball joint. When you turn it affects the caster and camber of the wheel. In a straight line the caster and camber does not change, if the lower ball joint is worn, it causes the wheel to lean out. Simular to someone cutting springs to lower the vehicle. I hope this will help you find your problem.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:38 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by BLK00CLK430
Do you feel your car sway when you change lanes going atleast 50 or so mph? If so, it could be one of three things. Inner or outer tie rod or the steering box. But if you are barely rolling and turning sharp, it could be the ball joint. When you turn it affects the caster and camber of the wheel. In a straight line the caster and camber does not change, if the lower ball joint is worn, it causes the wheel to lean out. Simular to someone cutting springs to lower the vehicle. I hope this will help you find your problem.
No, I haven't yet felt any swaying like that. I mostly hear it when I turn corners, make turns, and go over bumps. If it was the ball joints would there be any clunking noises? And now, when I'm driving at a constant speed it is a bit shaky on the left side. So does that still sound like it could be any of those three?

Also I'm looking into getting Koni Yellow Sport shocks, a friend of mine can get them at a good price, are those good, or should I go for something else?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by BLK00CLK430
That is what I have been feeling lately in my car. It just feels like it wants to wander a little. Sunday I installed my lowering springs and noticed one of the boots was broken on the outer tie rod. Next up is replacing those and hopefully the wandering will go away.
No noises from my car though.