CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

iPod + Cassette Adapter Working in my '99 CLK320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320, S430, F150
iPod + Cassette Adapter Working in my '99 CLK320

I was inspired recently by a post here (or over "there" ;-) that explained how to utilize a cassette adapter and route the cable out the back of the radio/cassette deck (sorry, can’t find the posting now).

I summoned the courage this afternoon to slide out the radio/cassette deck in my CLK320 and try it. A connector or two was loose on the back of the radio/cassette deck when I removed it from the dash so it was a worthwhile exercise to disconnect and reconnect it (just make sure you have your “radio code” with you); AM radio reception sounds better now. I removed only two screws from the top of the deck to remove the top cover, and (as advertised) it was obvious how to route the cable inside the unit to a small gap under the cover along the right-rear edge.

My only problem was in trying to leave enough slack in the cable (on the adapter end) to accommodate an accidental tape eject. Unfortunately the slack cable just gets in the way and jams the tape adapter from ejecting successfully (I had to remove and reopen the deck a couple times to untangle the cable).

I haven’t yet figured out how to easily get the “plug” end of the cable into the ashtray compartment (to conceal it when not in use) so for now it’s just sticking out from the edge of the compartment just below the radio/tape deck.

Just wanted to say “THANK YOU” to those of you who take the time to document brilliant ideas like this. I can now use an iPod in my CLK and enjoy what at least initially appears to be the same quality as that in my S430 through the aux connection. I was previously using an FM transmitter but there’s just too much interference here in the city.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:53 AM

Clk320
That was my post https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=mp3+input

You're welcomed. Just unscrew your whole ashtray compartment and slide it out. There is a hole in the back or the side of it that you can route the wire through. I will post a pic when I get a chance if you don't know what I mean.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:23 AM

CLK320, S430, F150
Thanks for the tip. It wasn't obvious where the screws were; they were concealed by the plate around the shifter, which popped out with a little pressure. I couldn't find an opening in the ashtray compartment itself, so I just routed the cable along the top under the door.

Thanks to your tip, I now have the cable neatly concealed in the ashtray compartment and out of sight when not in use.

The only issue I've had so far in the week I've been using this is that the cassette occasionally ejects. Is that because the deck thinks the cassette needs to flipped to the other side?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:01 AM

2002 CLK 430
Originally Posted by mjhbower
Thanks for the tip. It wasn't obvious where the screws were; they were concealed by the plate around the shifter, which popped out with a little pressure. I couldn't find an opening in the ashtray compartment itself, so I just routed the cable along the top under the door.

Thanks to your tip, I now have the cable neatly concealed in the ashtray compartment and out of sight when not in use.

The only issue I've had so far in the week I've been using this is that the cassette occasionally ejects. Is that because the deck thinks the cassette needs to flipped to the other side?
how u get power from ? cig outlet? if so does it charge the ipod? thats what i h8t .......coz we have only 1 phuckin power outlet.

lmk

Last edited by J56BP; 03-19-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:05 AM

Clk320
I think the ejecting problem has something to do with where and how the wire comes out of the base of the tape itself, I was having those problems until I bought the cassette adaptor pictured in pic #2 with the bi directional output for the wire. I do remember that I used a different cord than what came with the adaptor though. It was much thinner.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:18 PM

CLK320, S430, F150
The solution discussed in this thread provides audio only, from the iPod to the tape deck. You could conceivably charge the iPod at the same time from the cig lighter with a separate charger.