CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Lowering Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2008 | 04:09 PM

2006 CLK500
Lowering Advice

I have a 02 430 and would like to lower it. What is everyone's recommendation for best overall performance. I don't have any one thing I will be doing with the car so I can't say track, or city, or highway, or curvy roads a lot.

MY thinking right now since I just spent a lot on it (two weeks ago) was to just go cheap with either H and R or Eibach springs off of Tire Rack. (Parts $250) Now my questions for you guys, 1. I am pretty good with tools and would like to install them myself, I called a goodyear and they said they wouldn't do it, and I had to call a dealer, so I called Mercedes and they said it would be 520 labor. (Which I would rather not lower the car at all) I am in Minneapolis if anyone knows a shop who will install springs for $100, but I won't pay more than that since I generally know it is an easy job.

Second question, a cup or coilover suspension system for 900-1200 $ + whatever for labor....How much more would you notice this when driving? Would you notice it in a good way, or would it seem maybe too stiff?

I want my car to ride really smooth but too just look a little lower/agressive, and then to also be able to take a sharp corner when needed or a cloverleaf at a high speed.

Thanks in advance