CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

help with cps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2008 | 08:50 PM

CLK430
help with cps

Are there any tips as to getting to the screw holding the sensor in? it seems impossible to get enough leverage. I have the E8 torx it says to use in the DIY post but I can't fit a ratchet or driver to do the job. thanks

Last edited by dipset_clk; 04-19-2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-18-2008 | 10:02 PM

1999 CLK 430
Make sure you have the 1/4" E8 Torx, there is not enough clearance with the 3/8" sockets. Also flexible extenders and waiting for the engine to be cold helps. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2008 | 11:18 AM

2000 CLK 320
patience is key. cause you have to do it all by feel since you cant see anything once you put your hand in there. just be careful not to drop the torx screw once you get it out!
Old 04-22-2008 | 03:34 PM

2005 CLK55 Cab, 2012 C300
I just did this last week so I feel your pain... I think its just one of those things you have to "get" the first time, otherwise it seems impossible.

Its easiest to attempt this with the airbox / engine cover off. Lay down on the engine's manifold (lay a towel down first, or course), with your head right around the air intake. Reach your LEFT hand behind the intake (to use as a guide) and your RIGHT hand around to the sensor. I pulled it off with a standard 3/8" socket wrench, standard 3/8 extension (3") and an E8 Torx head I bought at Autozone as part of a kit for $7.

It will be harder to do this one piece at a time (I.E. don't put the socket on the screw and then try to put the extension on next, etc.). The best way to describe it is that its similar to watching a paramedic put a breathing tube in someone -you have this "L" shaped item that has to fit a specific area and its best to just do it in one swoop. Keep trying, you'll get it! Once I got on the screw, I had to loosen one click at a time until it was something I could do with my fingers. I started around 7PM and finished up in almost complete darkness at 8:30. I'd say that about an hour fifteen of that was spent cursing German engineering and the other 15 minutes to actually do the job. Don't worry about light, you'll be doing it by touch anyway.

When you put the new sensor in, don't forget to get the screw hole lined up as close as possible or you will drop the screw the first time you try to thread it in.

Good luck!