CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2000 CLK 430 Convert

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk430 convert
2000 CLK 430 Convert

I bought this car a few years ago and love it. It just recently started having a few issues and anytime I want to take it in to mercedes I have to schedule it for two weeks in advance so I am resorting to this board first before I do that.

1. The first problem is the convert top just top going up and down. This happened completely without warning. I can here something clicking when i press the switch to make it move, but the motor does not engage.

2. I went over some train tracks the other day that I had never been across and the two rear head rests engaged and moved up in a locked position. I resorted to the manual where it says to hold the up button for the head rests for 8 second and then push the down button.....no luck.

3. My factory CD changer no says "no magazine" and then just started happening yesterday.

Since it seems all of this seems to be happening to items in the rear of the car, I am hoping this is just an electrical problem related to a fuse in the rear or something. or maybe nothing is related and I just need to take it in to mercedes.

Does anyone have any ideas for some of the problems I have coming across?
Old 05-08-2008, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
ok for the rear headrest place the car in park turn it off and than turn the switch to the point right before you turn the car on (so full power but engine is still off.) than press the headrest button up till you hear a click like 8-10 seconds once that happens just press the button down and they should lower happens to me like once every other week.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:37 PM

Mercedes Benz CLK430 Cab.
Originally Posted by hitman247x
I bought this car a few years ago and love it. It just recently started having a few issues and anytime I want to take it in to mercedes I have to schedule it for two weeks in advance so I am resorting to this board first before I do that.

1. The first problem is the convert top just top going up and down. This happened completely without warning. I can here something clicking when i press the switch to make it move, but the motor does not engage.

2. I went over some train tracks the other day that I had never been across and the two rear head rests engaged and moved up in a locked position. I resorted to the manual where it says to hold the up button for the head rests for 8 second and then push the down button.....no luck.

3. My factory CD changer no says "no magazine" and then just started happening yesterday.

Since it seems all of this seems to be happening to items in the rear of the car, I am hoping this is just an electrical problem related to a fuse in the rear or something. or maybe nothing is related and I just need to take it in to mercedes.

I have a 2002 CLK430 with similar problems. Now, your CLK may not be suffering from the same issues mine is, but my convertible top stopped operating and while riving over a bump, my head rests popped. After taking it to the dealer, they told me the convertible top's hydraulic system has a leaky valve. The head rests function via the same hydraulic system. The cost of repair is $1,200. So I had them lower the head rests manually (about $190) and I've been operating the top manually ever since.
As for your CD player, I've experienced the same issue. I just stop the car, turn off the ignition, remove the key, and start up the car again. It's been working for me.
Good luck with that convertible top issue.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:42 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by hitman247x

Wow. Did you buy my car or something? I have a 00 Cab. At the time I bought it (2 years ago) i had almost the exact same problems, even the 'no magazine' message on the radio.

You're going to doubt me but here is what fixed the inoperable top (since summer is upon us I bet this is your main concern. *LOL*). The trunk lock. As you may or may not know, there are 3 things that need to work and send correct signal to the central computer for the top to work. They are:
Windows (down)
Headrests (down)
Trunk (locked)
If none of the conditions (in parens) is met, the top won't work.
Does the red light on your console switch flash when you pull it (to drop the top)?

I believe my old trunk lock was sending an incorrect signal ('not locked') to the computer for the top to work because the rear headrests and windows worked fine. My symptoms were similar in that i also heard that clicking noise. I didn't even believe my indy mechanic when he told me what the problem was but when I got it back the next day...voila. And haven't had a problem since.
Here are some questions I have. Does the trunk work with your remote? Is it difficult to open with the key? In my case, the trunk stopped working.

Good luck and feel free to ask if you have further questions.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:49 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Alirossa
I have a 2002 CLK430 with similar problems. Now, your CLK may not be suffering from the same issues mine is, but my convertible top stopped operating and while riving over a bump, my head rests popped. After taking it to the dealer, they told me the convertible top's hydraulic system has a leaky valve. The head rests function via the same hydraulic system. The cost of repair is $1,200. So I had them lower the head rests manually (about $190) and I've been operating the top manually ever since.
As for your CD player, I've experienced the same issue. I just stop the car, turn off the ignition, remove the key, and start up the car again. It's been working for me.
Good luck with that convertible top issue.
The headrests operate on the same hydraulic system as the top? That's not what I've been told. It's just a motor operating those. BUT I'M NOT AN EXPERT! My thing on this issue is, if there's a leak, where did the fluid go/leak to? The trunk floor would be wet wouldn't it? (the hydraulic resevoir for the TOP is behind the driver's side backseat).
Old 05-13-2008, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 AMG cabriolet
Headrests

I wonder what causes these headrests to eject over bumps.....perhaps the gyroscope that detects a rollover is invoked ? Seems to be an expensive process to re-engage the rollover system.....i hear anywhere between $1200 - $4200 at the stealer.