CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Two questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
Two questions...

One...So I need to change my front brakes and rotors. I'm going to get the R1concept rotors. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...1942QQtcZphoto Has anyone used them? Also, this may be a stupid question, but do I order 1 pad pin rear caliper or 2 pad pin? I know all I have to do is look, but its easier for me to ask.

Two...After I got my car back from the shop a few weeks ago, my srs light came on. I was at the mechanic last week and they took a look at it and thought it was faulty wire or something, erased the light but then it came right back on, so they think it might be something behind the dash. Anyone have this happen or know what it might be thats causing the light to stay on?

Thanks guys
Old 06-17-2008, 01:59 AM

2003 CLK500
Sorry, no answers for you, but I would like to know about the SRS Light too. Mine comes on whenever I have a passanger. It goes on and off all the time, unless there is no passanger. Maybe a seatbelt issue?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:39 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by Discgolfer74
Sorry, no answers for you, but I would like to know about the SRS Light too. Mine comes on whenever I have a passanger. It goes on and off all the time, unless there is no passanger. Maybe a seatbelt issue?
I heard the seat belt is one of the reasons for the light to come on. There is also a sensor under the passenger seat that could make the light come on for your car. Unfortunately for me niether of those things are what is making the light come on in my car.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 AMG cabriolet
Do you have a legit reason for using aftermkt brakes? CLK stops with some of the best plugged into the factory setup ;-)
Old 06-18-2008, 08:27 AM

2003 CLK500
Originally Posted by DevilsAngel
I heard the seat belt is one of the reasons for the light to come on. There is also a sensor under the passenger seat that could make the light come on for your car. Unfortunately for me niether of those things are what is making the light come on in my car.
I'm starting to realize this car has more problems with sensors, than equipment.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clk430convert01
Do you have a legit reason for using aftermkt brakes? CLK stops with some of the best plugged into the factory setup ;-)
If you want to brake dust all over your wheels, you go ahead and keep using the factory pads. Definitely go with Akebono pads.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by falls profet
If you want to brake dust all over your wheels, you go ahead and keep using the factory pads. Definitely go with Akebono pads.

I switched to AKEBONOS and will never go back to stock!!! Brake dust is virtually gone and I still have the strong braking power.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:02 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by clk430convert01
I have MB brake pads on the fronts and they leave so much dust. and stopping isn't that great. I've read up on Centric pads and they seem really good, I've read that other MB owners use them and like them. As far as the rotors go, I've seen other people use them and have no problems with them. So I'm going off recomendations.

Originally Posted by Discgolfer74
I'm starting to realize this car has more problems with sensors, than equipment.
Ya I've noticed that too, although I've been lucky, so far the SRS light is the only light that I've had come on. I've only been dealing with body damage. But I hope you get yours figured out and I'll soon get mine figured out-hopefully
Old 06-18-2008, 06:27 PM

2000 clk430
put r1 concepts brake rotors front n back on my range rover.. excellent product u wont be dissapointed. also pads included in my package are virtually dust free and super quiet.. good choice n value equal performance to stock u wont be dissapointed...I get compliments on them all the time..
Old 06-18-2008, 06:36 PM

CLK320, Honda Ruckus, pinto & BMX
my srs, bas, and some other crap comes on..
they only come on once in a while.. i ignore it..
i know that doesn't help you at all, but i thought you should
know whats going on with my car...
put black tape over the indicator, out of sight , out of mind
Old 06-18-2008, 07:37 PM

CLS63 AMG S
sometimes that little black box under your seat goes crazy had similar problem popped it out cleaned it out plugged it back in and havnt seen this light since
Old 06-19-2008, 04:53 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by jesone430
put r1 concepts brake rotors front n back on my range rover.. excellent product u wont be dissapointed. also pads included in my package are virtually dust free and super quiet.. good choice n value equal performance to stock u wont be dissapointed...I get compliments on them all the time..
Oh cool, thats good to know. Thanks for the heads up

Originally Posted by MilitaryBenz
sometimes that little black box under your seat goes crazy had similar problem popped it out cleaned it out plugged it back in and havnt seen this light since
Hmmm I'll have to give that a try to see if that might work. I want to try whatever I can before I take it to the shop to have them do a detailed diagnostic test on it.

Scottster77-the black tape idea sounds good until you get in an accident and something doesn't work! Lucky for you the light isn't on all the time.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:29 PM

CLK430
What is inside the box you cleaned out ?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
The BAS/SRS issue is most likely caused by a faulty brake light switch, easy fix and cheap also. Its a common problem.

Little black box under the seat? Hmm, those sound like controllers for the seat motors/heaters. SRS/BAS and seatbelts don't have any controllers under the seats, although there is a wire harness that connects to the passenger side BabySmart sensor and the seat belts.

At least on my 2000 model this is the case.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:29 AM

2003 CLK500
Originally Posted by 2PHAST
BabySmart sensor
Old 06-21-2008, 11:27 PM

i recently picked up the R1 concepts PREMIUM double drilled/slotted rotors with pads.

the center of the rotors are casted BLACK.

All i need is the front sensors, before I install....

R1 concepts is in Fullerton California,and their machine shop looks top-notch!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:54 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by SoCalw11w123
i recently picked up the R1 concepts PREMIUM double drilled/slotted rotors with pads.

the center of the rotors are casted BLACK.

All i need is the front sensors, before I install....

R1 concepts is in Fullerton California,and their machine shop looks top-notch!
Ya I've heard from a few people that they are really pleased with the rotors. Mine just came in today so hopefully I'll get them installed when I get off work. I'll let everyone know how everything works out.

Originally Posted by 2PHAST
The BAS/SRS issue is most likely caused by a faulty brake light switch, easy fix and cheap also. Its a common problem.
So do you think that maybe my srs light is on because my brakes are really low and the driver side front rotor needs replacing?