CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear trunk light out, missing a piece

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2kCLK320
Rear trunk light out, missing a piece

This is the rear red bulb on the trunk. It was out so I went to replace it and the back plug has a piece of plastic over it. Its thin and looks like I can pop it out and get a bulb in there. I'm figuring its a new tail light and no one bothered to put a bulb in it. Sound right?

Only problem is the plastic seat for the bulb is missing, anyone know where i can get another on? (besides the dealer), or at lest the real name of this part to help me search myself.
thanks
Old 06-18-2008, 07:35 PM

CLS63 AMG S
maybe its just me but im not following..you say red? can you post up a quick pic of this.....but none the less the little plastic peice holds all 3 bulbs and you can just pop it out
Old 06-18-2008, 08:24 PM

2kCLK320
Its a hard situation to put into words, heres some pics

This is the light Im talking about I said red so you wouldn't think its the reverse lights, its the light right below the reverse light.

This is the plastic piece I'm missing for that light socket, this is from the other side.

This is where the white plastic piece should go but its blocked off by some plastic, you can see the reverse light next to it plugged in correctly.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 clk55 AMG
Originally Posted by xmodrelic
Its a hard situation to put into words, heres some pics

This is the light Im talking about I said red so you wouldn't think its the reverse lights, its the light right below the reverse light.

This is the plastic piece I'm missing for that light socket, this is from the other side.

This is where the white plastic piece should go but its blocked off by some plastic, you can see the reverse light next to it plugged in correctly.
Thats for the rear fog light. the one on the other side has the bulb i think they use the right side fog in different countries.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:48 PM

2kCLK320
so heres my problem the other lights out so I have one light out, it looks ugly and asymmetric, now that I've pulled the other bulb I get a defective bulb indication. A bulb is suppose to be there but its not. So are you saying that some tails dont use that light? and possibly the taillight was replaced with one of these? which would explain way the missing bulb doesn't cause a indication?

also how can a small 5-10 watt bulb lit through a red diffuser in the rear be considered a fog light?

Thanks

edit: Ok i get it, its a safety feature and it only come on with the second click out on the light switch, its extra bright and on the drivers side. I like how bright it is, I wish both sides lit, thanks for the help

Last edited by xmodrelic; 06-18-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 CLK320
i wanted to install a second rear foglight, but never got to it.

come to think of it, i never use the existing single rear foglight, so why install another.