CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Acceleration problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430 Cabriolet
Acceleration problem

When driving 2000 CLK, after 5 minutes of driving the transmission gets stuck in high gears. If I turn the engine off and restart it, it is back to normal for a short time. If I accelerate all the way to the floor and kickdown switch is pressed, no kickdown and stuck in high gears immediately. Again engine on and off resets for a few minutes. If I go to the kickdown more than once, the check engine light will illuminate and stay on for hours.

Has anyone seen this before?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Originally Posted by cathynjoe
When driving 2000 CLK, after 5 minutes of driving the transmission gets stuck in high gears. If I turn the engine off and restart it, it is back to normal for a short time. If I accelerate all the way to the floor and kickdown switch is pressed, no kickdown and stuck in high gears immediately. Again engine on and off resets for a few minutes. If I go to the kickdown more than once, the check engine light will illuminate and stay on for hours.

Has anyone seen this before?

Not 100% sure, but sound like TCU issue if you are lucky not the transmission issue.

I'll will look for a friend to borrow the TCU to test it first.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
Sounds like the car is going into limp mode. Take it to the dealer or have a mechanic hook up a star diagnosis to it or a generic code scanner to see what error codes are popping up.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:08 PM

1999 CLK320 Convertible
Sounds like the problem I had on my car I was getting a P0715 Input Turbine Sensor Error and the car would no longer downshift I would have to shut the car off and turn it back on to get it back up and running properly.

The problem ended up being the transmission plate which basically has a sensor in it that tells the transmission when to shift. My Indy MB mechanic recommended a transmission shop that would able to help me out.

I ended up paying $450 for the transmission plate, transmission oil, filter and gasket change. Haven't had any shifting problems since than.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:25 PM

CLK430, CLK320 Cabriolet, ML350
Mine too was the plate. I went to a highly recommended independent Mercedes mechanic after researching on various boards (try mercedesshop for references) and saved big.