CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Anyone here add water to the battery regularly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430, SC430, RX330
Anyone here add water to the battery regularly?

My car has been starting really sluggishly for awhile now. I figured it was a weak battery, probably due for a change. I checked the terminal connections, used a wire brush to clean off any oxidation, retightened them on and its still sluggish when you turn the key.

I read online about adding distilled water to the battery and thought I would give it a shot. When I opened up the 6 caps on top of the battery and shined a flashlight in, every cell looked bone dry (as far as I could see). I put a whole bunch of distilled water into the cells and presto, now it starts like its supposed to.

Just wondering if this is a regular thing we are supposed to do to get longer life out of our batteries. I searched the threads, and no one has mentioned adding water to the battery. Anyone on here regularly top off their battery with distilled water? I can't imagine it losing too much water, but even though I was careful not to overfill, I put in over a half gallon and can probably fit another 1/4 to 1/2 gallon.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
YES
All batteries require some distilled water from time to time.
That is why I stay away from those maintenance free batteries.

Keep the fluid up and the terminals clean and the battery will give you good service for along time.