CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Key wont turn, any way to test???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key wont turn, any way to test???

Hello folks,

Im hoping someone may be able to help to solve a problem please???

I dont know how to test this to see what the problem is... A year ago the car battery died and it wouldnt start, now I dont know if its the battery again or whats gone wrong really.

I was just wondering if there was any way of testing whether its the EIS or the Key itself please???

The car wont start, the key wont turn... I dont hear any clicks or anything when I insert the key? I cant remember though if I ever did, lol... I dont know if its the key itself, I have checked the batteries in it, the doors unlock with the key and everything else seems to work, the lights work interior and interior just the key wont turn in the lock, would this definately mean its the EIS or something else please? if so how could I get it to the dealers if I cant put it into neutral (automatic) does anyone know of rough prices in the UK for these kinds of problems please?

Its a W208 CLK, triptronic
Old 08-03-2008, 11:04 PM

2003 CLK500
If the doors lock and unlock, and the lights are working, then it isn't the battery.

My battery cable fitting came off when I stopped in New Mexico, while driving my car to Ohio from Arizona. Man, did that scare the living crap out of me! I called MBRA (Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance), and figured it out before I totally flipped out.

Try checking your battery connections to make sure you're properly connected. Pull the battery cable for a little while to reset.

I'm sorry, but that is the best I can offer you. I hope you figure it out!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 AM

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, about 2 years ago the car wouldnt start, it was because of a dead battery, so I had the battery changed, then a year ago the car wouldnt start as the new battery had died because the lights kept coming on and the doors unlocking due to a faulty siren... that was replaced too with a bosch battery and the siren repaired. Both those times though the key would still turn it just didnt have enough juice to start.

I dont know if this time it is the lock itself as I dont hear anything when I insert the key, u usually hear something? I didnt know if it was the key, I had two keys and I think one stopped working a while ago but I couldnt remember, they both unlock the doors but cant start the car, I tried opening up the one key however it was really really well sealed, so I cut it open, there is a small coil which is off the key, I dont know if the other key is the same, I could easily resolder the red coil if I could get a new one from anywhere? Its sealed so I cant really get to any of the wire on it to unwind a little for soldering I repair mobile phones, so a soldering job like this is really simple, its just a case of being able to get hold of another coil a mobile phone speaker has the same enamel coated coil, however this is wrapped around what looks like metal/carbon?.

However I dont know if this is the problem as the other key doesnt work neither even though they both unlock the doors

Last edited by c9679; 08-04-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 AM

Happy owner of '98 CLK 320
When my previous battery died, I could easily lock unlock doors, put lights on etc, but nothing at all happened when trying to start the car.
I can't quite remember if I at any point had trouble turning the key, so my suggestions are very basic, and might not be applicable to your situation, or you might allready have tried them out:

Make sure the car is in Parked or Neutral
Try to jiggle the steeringwheel
Get someone with a startercable to help you

Wobert
Old 08-04-2008, 03:39 PM

Hello,

Thank you, I have tried the jump cables, however it didnt have any effect at all... I think the battery is fine though previously when the battery died, the key would still turn the car just wouldnt start, this time it doesnt turn at all and I dont hear the steering wheel unlock or any sounds from the key.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:08 PM

Just one question please? If I manage to get another fob from another old scrapped car and using this I manage to fix my existing fob, is there any way to get it working again if the battery has been removed for a while??? Obviously I will need more than 30 seconds to solder the red coil back on