CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 320 Mass Air Flow Sensor

Old 08-17-2008, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile CLK 320 Mass Air Flow Sensor

I thought I would take just a few minutes here to recount the experience I had with the MAF on my 2001 CLK 320, as there have been several posts about it.

About a year ago the check engine light (CEL) began coming on. A friend of mine who's dad works on his own MB stable of cars helped me quickly identify that it was the MAF, and pulled it off during lunch one day at the office, cleaned it with an MAF spray and then replaced it (first hint: it's a 3 minute removal job even for unskilled lunkheads like me). As you might expect, the light eventually came back on and fast forward about 9 months (lazy bum that I am) frankly I got tired of watching the CEL stay on all the time.

The MB dealer wanted $800 to replace the MAF, and a local repair shop wanted $400. Well, since my oil level sensor is now also out and that's going to cost me around $500 I thought I would tackle the MAF myself.

Long story short: I bought a UIF Tech plug-in reader from a dealer on eBay for about $26, and got the codes I was expecting (P0170 and P0173).

I then found a brand new MAF (OEM but probably not Bosch, and it was the whole unit and not just the internal assembly) from another site for $59 plus shipping.

Yesterday morning I turned on the engine, checked the codes, hit reset, then turned off the car and replaced the MAF. I then turned on the car once again, saw the CEL come on again, checked the codes, and reset them once more, and then turned off the engine once again.

Next time I started the car the light was off.

Now, if I could just replace that oil level sensor...

Easy fix, all for under $100...

M7CLK
The following users liked this post:
farmersgroup (03-22-2022)
Old 08-21-2008, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK 320 Cabriolet
Thanks for that write-up, it is very encouraging to those of us who have been on the fence, debating if/when to jump in and try a little wrenching of our own....

Mike
Old 08-22-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for acknowledging the post. It was painfully easy, and I think the entire effort to pull the MAF, replace it and reset the codes took about 8 minutes...

Ron
The following users liked this post:
retrozen (10-03-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 11:47 AM

Mercedes 2001 ML320
Can you tell me which one to buy? Bosch costs too much.

Originally Posted by Motown7CLK
I thought I would take just a few minutes here to recount the experience I had with the MAF on my 2001 CLK 320, as there have been several posts about it.

About a year ago the check engine light (CEL) began coming on. A friend of mine who's dad works on his own MB stable of cars helped me quickly identify that it was the MAF, and pulled it off during lunch one day at the office, cleaned it with an MAF spray and then replaced it (first hint: it's a 3 minute removal job even for unskilled lunkheads like me). As you might expect, the light eventually came back on and fast forward about 9 months (lazy bum that I am) frankly I got tired of watching the CEL stay on all the time.

The MB dealer wanted $800 to replace the MAF, and a local repair shop wanted $400. Well, since my oil level sensor is now also out and that's going to cost me around $500 I thought I would tackle the MAF myself.

Long story short: I bought a UIF Tech plug-in reader from a dealer on eBay for about $26, and got the codes I was expecting (P0170 and P0173).

I then found a brand new MAF (OEM but probably not Bosch, and it was the whole unit and not just the internal assembly) from another site for $59 plus shipping.

Yesterday morning I turned on the engine, checked the codes, hit reset, then turned off the car and replaced the MAF. I then turned on the car once again, saw the CEL come on again, checked the codes, and reset them once more, and then turned off the engine once again.

M7CLK
Spoiler

Old 09-27-2022, 06:22 AM

Mercedes 2001 ML320
Mass Airflow Sensor

Are there any other brands of mass airflow sensor that work besides Bosch?
Originally Posted by Motown7CLK

M7CLK