CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

bye bye stereo....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430 Coupe + MGF + 1980 Camaro
bye bye stereo....

had my car broken into...

professional job - they used a code grabber to open the car and disable the alarm.. stripped the tv/dvd av master and changer.. took all the cables as well..

**** happens.

anyway... how do i take the centre console to bits to replace the surround panel which they damaged?
Old 12-27-2002, 02:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is my opinion, so take it for what it's worth..

If they did use a code grabber, which is something that does require computer technical expertise and ALSO close proximity, then they would have stole your whole car. Why go through all that trouble of obtaining a code grabber and getting within close distance of your car just to steal US $2000 worth of stereo, which at MOST will get about 50-70% of the original price.

Following Occam's razor, my guess would be a bunch of guys were walking around, found your car unlocked, and saw an opportunity to make some quick cash.

shrug
Old 12-27-2002, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry to hear that man, but what jl88 said really make sense though, you should try getting aftermarket alarms now.

-Bruce
Old 12-27-2002, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
hmmm... i always make sure the blinkers blink when walking away from my car. Cant always rely on the remote locking system!
Old 12-27-2002, 06:12 AM

2000 CLK 320
I agree with jl88 also. I hear breaking the code for the unlocking system is very difficult. I've read in another post where a professional car door opener (??) or electronics expert couldn't even figure out how to unlock the doors even with all the tools and the original keys in his hand.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Originally posted by funky102
I hear breaking the code for the unlocking system is very difficult.
Try next to impossible.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
very much agreed... breaking the code is impossible. Thats the comfort behind having a MB.

don't mean to bash on you, but you may have just accidently left the car unlocked. I double-triple check my car before leaving everytime... i guess I'm extra paranoid, but better safe than sorry.

Oh, and the idea of adding in an aftermarket alarm, I think that is impossible too. No one I've spoken to has the ability or know-how of adding in an aftermarket alarm in newer MBs.

hope your insurance covers your aftermarket stuff
Old 12-28-2002, 04:09 AM

does mb have auto car startup system as an option?i doubt it but i thought i ask cuz it doesnt hurt ...hahah this sounds funny but i was lookin at some of those boxing week flyers, this place had an auto startup system, so you just start ur car engine up with a remote, kinda like keyless except u do it with a remote rather than turning the car on by the gear
Old 12-29-2002, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by tango
does mb have auto car startup system as an option?i doubt it but i thought i ask cuz it doesnt hurt ...hahah this sounds funny but i was lookin at some of those boxing week flyers, this place had an auto startup system, so you just start ur car engine up with a remote, kinda like keyless except u do it with a remote rather than turning the car on by the gear
The answer is no, but what Mercedes has to offer is more advanced than any other after market system.

You can't remotely start the car, but can you Open the door without use of the key, you can even DRIVE the car without using the key. Show me an aftermarket system that can do that.

Unfortunately, the W208 CLK does not have this feature, W209 does however.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:22 AM

well i can't show u cuz i saw it on a flyer, anyways ill see what i can do....
the system allows you to remotely turn on ur car so you dont have to get out in the rain or the snow to turn on the engine.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:48 AM

the car was defo locked...

local police say was the forth merc to have this done to it in this area... all owners swear they were locked...all have no signs of forced entry.

i checked the car was locked when i went to the garage just after midnight.

guess they didnt take it as almost all high end cars in the uk have trackers (mine has 2!)

police forensics confirmed was pro job.. not 1 finger print... all surfaces wiped clean - they even took the sills and carpets up and stole the cabling....
Old 12-31-2002, 12:36 PM

2002 CLK320
Wow, UK police officers actually took the time to swipe for finger prints and such?

Here in San Francisco, cars get broken into all the time, so our top notch SFPD scribbles down a 6 word report "car broken into, yet another victim" and head straight back to the donut shop like nothing major happened.

Sorry to hear the horrible news. At least they didnt smash in your window and do extensive damage, and the stereo is covered through insurance??
Old 12-31-2002, 02:08 PM

they dont always take prints but as they have had a few more similar cases.....

it is insured but i dont wat to lose my ncb.
just need to repair damage to side of console.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:57 PM

2000 CLK 320
Originally posted by Pffelan
the car was defo locked...

local police say was the forth merc to have this done to it in this area... all owners swear they were locked...all have no signs of forced entry.

i checked the car was locked when i went to the garage just after midnight.

guess they didnt take it as almost all high end cars in the uk have trackers (mine has 2!)

police forensics confirmed was pro job.. not 1 finger print... all surfaces wiped clean - they even took the sills and carpets up and stole the cabling....
What I'm wondering about is if these people are pro and you say that almost all high end cars have trackers, shouldn't they know or at least check and attempt to disengage the trackers? If they did have the technology to break the code, then i'm sure GPS technology and trackers would be simple for them.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:29 PM

im sure they can get around trackers.. my point was that they came just for the stereo and nothing else..

they even left cash in the centre console.

if they had wanted they could have taken the car but the risk of detection would be much greater.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what are the chances of it being an inside job? say, for instance you recently serviced your car, and the someone ordered an extra key for ur ride, then used it to get into your car. Or am i watching too much tv?
Old 01-02-2003, 04:48 PM

2002 CLK320
"what are the chances of it being an inside job? say, for instance you recently serviced your car, and the someone ordered an extra key for ur ride, then used it to get into your car. Or am i watching too much tv?"

I've also heard stories of dealers/repair shops/tireshops etc. make copies of your HOME keys, if you have them attached to your car keys, and go and rob you house, so no its not TV, its REAL TV.

Lots of things to be very wary of nowadays. Of course because you own/drive a MB that they know you make good money and probably live in a nice house, but especially if you have expensive mods in your car, they know you have a tad more.

If it happened around your neighborhood, watch out for unfamiliar cars and vans driving around your area which don't seem to belong.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:37 PM

Unhappy

the mb dealer reckons no spare key has been ordered for my cars vin number ever... but they would say that wouldnt they.....

i guess i cant win. i just have to buy a bigger house so i can get a 3 car garage so it doesnt sit out at night.