CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Wheel / Caliper clearance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430 Cabrio
Question Wheel / Caliper clearance

Help me out folks?
Does anyone know the minimum clearance between the spokes of the wheel and the brake caliper?
I've just installed a BBK and although my 19's go over no problem, The spokes clear, but look f****n' close to the caliper to me. I would guess 3 or 4 mm.
How bad do wheels flex under hard cornering?
Don't really want to go with spacers. The rims stick out enough already.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:24 PM

2002 clk430
man I wish I had bbk's can't stomach dropping that 6 grand right now. As far as stock wheels go what are you going to do if you had to take the 19's off. thats another thing I was thinking I would have to buy a bigger set of stocks for winter months
Old 08-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430 Cabrio
Originally Posted by vizionautosport
man I wish I had bbk's can't stomach dropping that 6 grand right now. As far as stock wheels go what are you going to do if you had to take the 19's off. thats another thing I was thinking I would have to buy a bigger set of stocks for winter months
Jury still out on the BBK as yet. Ironing bugs.
The 19's replaced a set of 17" AMG and to be quite honest, The BBK idea was purely for looks. The original brakes looked crap between the spokes of the new wheels.
I knew that I would never be able to use the 17's again. (Anyone want 'em? You ship 'em you can have 'em. I'm in Spain).

My worry there is not the old wheels, but the spare!! I'm so dumb, I only just thought of that! What if I have a puncture? Oh S**t, I'd better get on that.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:05 PM

2002 clk430
HAHA I thought of the spare to but what can you do about that. Get one from a AMG model with bigger brakes? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking
Old 08-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430 Cabrio
Originally Posted by vizionautosport
HAHA I thought of the spare to but what can you do about that. Get one from a AMG model with bigger brakes? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking
Brakes ended up around $4K. Not including spacers,Wheel bolts of varying lengths etc while dumbass me was experimenting. It's ongoing.
Couldn't wake up Brembo Europe so went with Rotora. I'm in Spain and shipping for the brakes alone was around a grand.
Don't laugh dude. It breaks my heart when I hear of members overnighting this and trying that. Can't be done here. I live in the desert.
Last set of wheel bolts.... £60,. ... Shipping £68. Three weeks!!

Spare is a worry. I'm looking.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
i have the c55 ang bbk's on my car and the spare fits fine. what size are the calipers and rotors? and i have less then that between the rims and calipers and am fine.