CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

October has been a bad month for my wallet and my car!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 CLK 55 AMG
October has been a bad month for my wallet and my car!!!

I'm sure by now everyone has seen my busted motor mount video which has since been technically resolved (just need body work now), but I guess my bad luck hasn't run out yet.

Today at lunch I grab a PH2+Sprite from Taco Bell and head back to the house. The left turn signal is green but turning yellow so I get on the brake late into the turn trying to catch the light, failing to remember my large sized sprite in my small sized factory cupholder...and sploooooooooosh!!! The cup tips over onto my center console. Of course as a reflex I grab the cup (hoping and praying nothing leaked out) and ****** it back into the cup holder. On the way there of course some of it leaked out. Now I'm grabbing dunkin donuts napkins (who knows where/how I got those from) which were in the pocket on the door and toss them on the puddles of sprite on my shifter bezel. Problem solved right...!?!?

Get to the house and shift into P...hold on...wtf...can't shift past Neutral?!!? **** with the shifter for a while, finally turning the key off allows me to shift into P. I go inside eat and once again hope and pray that was the end of that. Get back into the car after lunch and the shifter will not leave Park...wtf?!?!? **** with it for a while get it into Reverse and leave my driveway. Try to shift it into Drive...NO GO. WTF?!?! Check engine light comes on as I somehow get the shifter into Drive and I'm forced to drive back to work stuck in 1st gear. Shift light indicating Park the whole time.

Let a tech here at work check it out, put the code reader on it - bad shifter solenoid! Called up Benz to find that they have "plenty of them in stock" so I assume this is a common problem. Well, one field trip in my buddies 350Z and $343 later I have the new shifter assembly back at the shop.

Tech goes to install the shifter assy and realized you have to take out the WHOLE CENTER CONSOLE. Now my car is sitting at the dealership overnight so he can work on it tomorrow.

I hope this is just an October thing b/c this is starting to get ridiculous
Old 10-30-2008, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
It is in fact a common problem for those that have spilled any liquids on the shifter console. I am very afraid of doing this one day!!! Man you are having a spill of bad luck man..OCT needs to hurry up and go away and maybe you will be better off then!!! LOL

Good Luck Man!!!!

Greg
Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 CLK320
thought i had it bad...

one of the license plate bulbs went out and the oil level sensor acted up.

i reduced the amount of oil and replaced them bulb...$10 total.

glad i ordered extra bulbs from auto lumination .com
Old 10-31-2008, 09:39 AM

01 CLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by gregory13lil
It is in fact a common problem for those that have spilled any liquids on the shifter console. I am very afraid of doing this one day!!! Man you are having a spill of bad luck man..OCT needs to hurry up and go away and maybe you will be better off then!!! LOL

Good Luck Man!!!!

Greg
I hope so too man, thanks. I got the new shifter in there already but some clip broke in the process so once I get that I should be back in business. Gotta be something halloween related goin on here
Old 10-31-2008, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yo Momma
if the car is giving you many problems other than you causing them, sell it maybe its not the right car. You know they are like GFs if she gives you problems then she aint worth it.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by ZEEK
if the car is giving you many problems other than you causing them, sell it maybe its not the right car. You know they are like GFs if she gives you problems then she aint worth it.

Very true..BUT, he is the one causing the problems right now. Stick with it man, at least you know that things can only get better. HOPEFULLY!!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:18 AM

W208-CLK430,W204-C240
i was happen to me once. i spend 1000 to fix that problem. replace the control unit under the shift knob.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:46 PM

01 CLK 55 AMG
It's fixed now I'm still happy with my car. I'm far from getting rid of it!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 02:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 CLK320
how much did you end up spending?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:06 AM

01 CLK 55 AMG
$343 for the part and like $65 for install. Not too bad I guess! Still sucks tho