CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Xenon to Projector Halo headlight conversion checklist???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 clk 430 Cab
Xenon to Projector Halo headlight conversion checklist???

I bought a set of black projector headlights with the halo rings.
From what my understanding is in order for it to work with my OEM xenon I need the following parts...

HID D2R Cable Adapter
AN H7 Hid bulb

Is that correct yall?

I talked to a shop they told me it couldnt be done? Are they right or wrong? Because I see a lot of forum people have already done this?

eBay Motors: D2 to AMP adapter wires HID D2S Xenon connectors PAIR (item 180294731183 end time Nov-27-08 19:53:22 PST)

and

an H7 hid bulb with the wire connectors comming out the back..

does anyone know how to get the wiring done for the city lights and the high beam lights? also how do you hook up the halos?
Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
Your OEM HID bulbs are D2R, your new headlights a projectors, so the correct bulb for a projector is a D2S. Although, your light pattern won't be correct if you put a HID bulb into a headlight with halogen projectors.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:02 PM

2001 clk 430 Cab
Originally Posted by 2PHAST
Your OEM HID bulbs are D2R, your new headlights a projectors, so the correct bulb for a projector is a D2S. Although, your light pattern won't be correct if you put a HID bulb into a headlight with halogen projectors.
but the projector headlights say h7 bulbs are the fitment type in there...isnt that why i buy a d2 to amp connector..then connect the h7 hid bulb to the d2 to amp connector in order to use the factory xenon hid ballast?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:25 AM

2001 clk 430 Cab
eff it..im just going to retrofit some new projectors into the housing so i can just use my stock xenon hid setup..anyone know of someone that can do this? is lightwerkz a reputable company? anyone with some sort of info please?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:29 AM

2001 clk 430 Cab
anyone know which projectors use the d2r bulbs? or is there a difference between d2s and d2r?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
eff it..im just going to retrofit some new projectors into the housing so i can just use my stock xenon hid setup..anyone know of someone that can do this? is lightwerkz a reputable company? anyone with some sort of info please?
- the "someone" doing this would be some alleyway dr frankenstein. reputable
auto lighting folks would shy away knowing that such mods are technically
illegal and not DOT/NHTSA compliant. it's possible you can head to HIDPLANET.
COM and find someone there who has experience retrofitting HID projectors
into your existing OEM housing.

anyone know which projectors use the d2r bulbs? or is there a difference between d2s and d2r?
- very few, save for those who dont know any better, will use D2R bulbs in
D2S or H7 projectors. D2Rs are designed to work in reflector based light
assemblies, not projectors.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:04 AM

2001 clk 430 Cab
has anyone tried the h7 to d2s bulb adapter plate? i see them on ebay for like 10 bucks...

Trending Topics

Old 11-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
If you really want to put HIDs in your projectors and not change out the projectors you can get an aftermarket H7 HID kit. Plug and play
Old 11-13-2008, 02:51 PM

2001 clk 430 Cab
eff it i decided to go with the projector retrofit..i found a place in the bay area that seems to do this for a good price..
Old 11-13-2008, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
Originally Posted by eykeykeyk
but the projector headlights say h7 bulbs are the fitment type in there...isnt that why i buy a d2 to amp connector..then connect the h7 hid bulb to the d2 to amp connector in order to use the factory xenon hid ballast?
The projector say H7 because they are not designed for HID's, they are designed for halogen bulbs.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:25 AM

CLK 430
You can use your stock HID ballast with those projectors. I have the same ones and I just retrofitted or re-wired it to fit them. All I bought was the H7 adapters. I have had my headlights on for a while now, and no problems with them yet. Feel free to ask any other questions, I'll help as best I can
Old 11-15-2008, 12:07 PM

2001 clk 430 Cab
Originally Posted by DevilsAngel
You can use your stock HID ballast with those projectors. I have the same ones and I just retrofitted or re-wired it to fit them. All I bought was the H7 adapters. I have had my headlights on for a while now, and no problems with them yet. Feel free to ask any other questions, I'll help as best I can
Thank you I do appreciate it a lot....Is it possible to still use the H6W bulbs in these things? and I see there are all these connectors that go in the back of the stock headlights?? whats that all about?
Old 11-15-2008, 09:05 PM

CLK 430
Thank you I do appreciate it a lot....Is it possible to still use the H6W bulbs in these things? and I see there are all these connectors that go in the back of the stock headlights?? whats that all about?
Ya they should still use the H6 bulbs, mine do.

If its the same way mine was setup, those wires are just what connects the HID ballast, and the city light wires. I used the same wires for the projectors. Just cut them, then re-wired them. Does that make sense?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:15 PM

2001 clk 430 Cab
Originally Posted by DevilsAngel
Ya they should still use the H6 bulbs, mine do.

If its the same way mine was setup, those wires are just what connects the HID ballast, and the city light wires. I used the same wires for the projectors. Just cut them, then re-wired them. Does that make sense?
well I do have the d2 to amp connector to use with my stock ballasts...im just wondering how people have their stuff wired up.... or is their any way of avoiding cutting into anything...how did you wire your halos?
Old 11-16-2008, 02:26 AM

CLK 430
well I do have the d2 to amp connector to use with my stock ballasts...im just wondering how people have their stuff wired up.... or is their any way of avoiding cutting into anything...how did you wire your halos?
I actually didn't wire the halos, i'm not using them at all. I have this personal thing where I think they are meant for BMW not MB, so I just cut the wires off completely and put silicone over where I cut at, and called it good. So....can't help you there.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:33 AM

2001 clk 430 Cab
oh my god i said *** it..im gonna just buy an aftermarket hid kit..it is way too much work to take the oem ballast out and to rewire everything and i really hate cutting into factory wires...makes me feel uneasy....anyone recommmend a decent hid kit for the h7? **** i have all these d2s bulbs now and the d2 amp connectors and even a metal d2s to h7 metal plate adapters left over just laying around....oh well lesson learned....i could technically still use my d2s bulbs if i but a d2s kit.....or should i stick with the H7 kit? did anyone else have a ***** of a time putting the goddamn headlights back onto the car? And to top it off I broke a rusted bolt where the driver side headlight is..YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! only thing i can think of doing is drilling it out....how did you guys clamp the headlightwasher hose..
Old 10-09-2009, 01:22 AM

ML55 /////AMG / CLK 320 Cabriolet
I finally bought the halo projector headlight. I have EOM HID.
Today, I tested the light. The high beam and Halo lights were working, but the low beam was not working at all.

I connected the HID H7 bulbs to the AMP connector adapter then to the OEM main power source. (I didn't remove the old headlight yet. I'm going to get my bumper paint next week, so I was just pulling out the big red plug behind the bulb and connected to the AMP connector). According to sources, it should be just plug and play.

Do I need to bypass or rewire anything after I connected all of those cables? I have a headlight washer, so I do not know if there is anything to do with it.

Thanks,
Den
Old 10-17-2009, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
Hi,

So, what was it that you figured out. Maybe that info can help someone else not make the same mistake.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Den_25
I finally bought the halo projector headlight. I have EOM HID.
Today, I tested the light. The high beam and Halo lights were working, but the low beam was not working at all.

I connected the HID H7 bulbs to the AMP connector adapter then to the OEM main power source. (I didn't remove the old headlight yet. I'm going to get my bumper paint next week, so I was just pulling out the big red plug behind the bulb and connected to the AMP connector). According to sources, it should be just plug and play.

Do I need to bypass or rewire anything after I connected all of those cables? I have a headlight washer, so I do not know if there is anything to do with it.

Thanks,
Den