CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cold start annoyance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold start annoyance

Just as the temperatures started to dip below 40 degrees where I live, my car now makes this annoyingly loud squealing sound from the belts & pulleys for about 5 to 6 minutes then as the car gets warmer the sound becomes more faint (not sure if it completely goes away). I just hope it's not something more than just lubricating the belts and pulleys. Does this happen to anyone else? What do you recommend using make it go away? I tried some Prestone belt dressing and it stopped for a couple days and now it's back, noisier than ever.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:08 PM

CLK430, SC430, RX330
Originally Posted by bacardy703
Just as the temperatures started to dip below 40 degrees where I live, my car now makes this annoyingly loud squealing sound from the belts & pulleys for about 5 to 6 minutes then as the car gets warmer the sound becomes more faint (not sure if it completely goes away). I just hope it's not something more than just lubricating the belts and pulleys. Does this happen to anyone else? What do you recommend using make it go away? I tried some Prestone belt dressing and it stopped for a couple days and now it's back, noisier than ever.

Thanks.
Check the tension of your belts. Belts that are too loose or too tight will cause a squeeling, that will sometimes go away or get better has the engine warms up.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the response. That seems to be the main culprit here, I think if it keeps up, I will just change the belt tensioner. Found one on AutoHausAZ for $104, gonna check all the other moving parts around there just in case though.