CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Will only the startac work for 2000CLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK
Will only the startac work for 2000CLK

I called mercedes of orlando to inquire about a phone and phone kit. I was told that the ONLY phone that would work in my 2000 CLK 430 is the startec, not the V60 but only the startac. I found someone that I would like to buy from (used) but was told my MB dealer that Verizon and other phone Coes might not activate it. reason= startac only uses 800 MHZ or 1600MHZ but not both???what ever that means. ANYONE HEARD OF THIS. Am I safe buying this phone and phone kit??? Will a Timeport work??? will a startac work
Old 01-25-2003, 09:37 PM

Location: Satellite Beach, Florida ( one hr. due West of Disney World)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430 Cab w/Ash/Dark ash leather and Ash top : all options
Angry

John,
I'm afraid that the M-B service rep is correct; I've been all through that with my 2K 430 Cab, and they changed the wiring harness in the 01 and later cars, but the 2K models will only except the StarTac. I wish I could give you better news, but can't.
I live over here in Satellite Beach myself, and use AT&T with no problems, but some of the companes don't want to set-up new service on the older phones unless you've already been a custimer; it's really kinda of a bummer, but that's the way it is.
My advice, if you're looking to have the M-B phone with the car, find out first if someone like AT&T will give you service first ( you can just call them and give them the model # and they'll be able to tell you if that phone will work or not)
I'm now using a new Nokia and I've given my wife my StarTac because she likes how small it is. We just use the M-B phone on trips in my CLK. I love the way the M-B phone works in the car, but it's too much of a pain to get it out all the time when in town, so using the Nokia works just fine for me when doing a lot of around town driving.

Good luck,

Jim