CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Front bumper removal ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M3
Front bumper removal ?

Any good pictures or advise on removing ? TIA
Old 01-23-2003, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL450
I copied this from a post awhile back thought it might come in handy. (No pic's sorry)

Information on removing the front bumper cover;
There are a few anchor points you need to get to
1st there are 2 nuts on the backside of the frame that the bumper attaches to these are near the bottom of the radiator after you have loosened those there are two more anchor points on the front side of the car these point are just behind the amber side markers.
There are also the plastic wheel well covering that you need to remove you will see the single hole that is on the front side of the wheel well remove those too
Lastly there are the screws that hold the bumper up near the headlight assembly, unscrew those and it should be easy to remove.

Best of luck to ya,
Tim
Old 07-08-2003, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02clk55///2010GLK350
bumper removal

I changed the bumper cover from beginning to end in about 2 hours.

It was nice getting a used bumper from joe55 already in silver (it was in better shape than my broken one)...Thanks Joe

There are a few more nuts and bolts than described...
First there is a bolt on the upper end of the top wheel well and a plastic fastener there also.
Pulling off the bumper guard at the side lights exposes a bolt that attaches upward to the body panel. A small wrench will work.
There are 3 screws on each side under and behind the fog lights.
To get to the main nuts that hold the front of the bumper cover to the frame you must remove the black plastic grill-like cover that sheilds the A/C (kind of tight here).
The fogs must be removed with 3 screws.
There are 2 obvious bolts on each side by the head lights.
Don't forget to remove the temperature probe.
Careful pulling out the covers of the headlight washers.

Came out real nice!
Old 07-09-2003, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Re: Front bumper removal ?

Originally posted by Oath1
Any good pictures or advise on removing ? TIA
Ok... i can give you a little advice on this as I recently pulled it off to put in Xenon headlights... so the procedure is still fresh in my memory...

OK... first off, be patient, don't use force, everything comes off easily... plus, make sure you have a set of Metric wrenches & a Socket wrench...

Steps:
1.) Remove the screw that is at the fenderwell, at the edge of the bumper, near the tire....
2.) Remove the clip below that to detach the bumper from the fenderwell cover
3.) Remove the plastic grill in front of the Radiator
4.) Remove the 2 screws at the headlight
5.) Instead of removing the fog lights, look underneath the bumper, where the fog lights are located, there are 4 screws holding a plastic flap.
6.) From this opening, you can access the bolt that holds the bumper to the body... use your hand to feel for it, it sits a little high up
7.) In front of the Radiator, there are 2 big nuts (1 on each side) that holds the bumper cover to the the metal bumper. This is a big nut on a big, long screw.... space is VERY tight, so you probably won't be able to use a socket wrench. I used a regular wrench, be patient, its hard to remove since space is sooooo limited there...
8.) Pull gently on the bumper... and there she goes...
9.) There are a few wires connected to the bumper that you may need to disconnect: side markers, temp probe, fog lights....

As I was only changing my headlights, I didn't have to disconnect any of the lights except those for the actual headlights.

Have a mat handy to lay the bumper as not to scratch it.
I'll post some pictures of what I'm talking about later tonight...

Hope this helps....

-Danny
Old 07-09-2003, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
um... i'll have to post pictures tomorrow, i'm having some trouble uploading to my host...