CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

I need HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
I need HELP!!!!!

Hey Guys! I know I haven't been on here in FOREVER!!!! And I know that I really should do a search for this problem, buuuuut I just don't have the time and I NEED my car running asap!

Ok, so here's whats wrong, I've been out of town for the last 8 days and come back last night to pick up my car, and as I start driving away, I notice my CEL came on, then the car starts running sh*tty. Then the CEL starts blinking, and the car was idoling very rough, and struggling to stay on. In a 10 minute drive my car died 3 times, taking atleast 5 minutes to start back up. Everytime the car died, EVERY light on the instrument cluster came on. I know I've seen people have this problem before, and again I am sorry for not doing a search. Is it possibly the MAF, I checked it this morning to see if it was loose but it was intact. One minor detail is, while I was out of town, I had my car parked at my ex's house (who we were still civil, and I felt comfortable leaving it) but he got psycho the day before I came back from my trip, and I in all honesty think that he did something to my car, knowing that he has been the one person to help me fix things with my car whenever something happened, and he did something to use it as a way to get me to come back to him. Well sorry, f*ck that!!!!

Thank you all in advance for your help, and sorry for the long story. I'm just in urgent, and hopefully cheap diy help.

Sarah
Old 02-25-2009, 06:26 PM

CLK but loves my Fords
Id check the battery first...and then i could show you how to interrogate a terrorist (clk terrorist in this case) to get the info you need.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:23 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by JYOO
Id check the battery first...and then i could show you how to interrogate a terrorist (clk terrorist in this case) to get the info you need.
Huh, the battery? I will check that when I get home. From the sounds of it, I was thinking more along the lines of the MAF or a vacuum problem.

CLK terrorist, thats funny. I will have to look into that!!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
are your air filters or intakes clogged?
Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 PM

BMW
Definitely check the battery.
When the CEL light is blinking, it means that your car is misfiring (I've had this problem 1.5 years ago.) I also had rough idle & at times when the car wasn't warmed up yet, it was hard for me to accelerate past 25mph. I thought it was the MAF, but my mechanics said it was fine. In my case, my drivers side motor mount was in bad shape, got that replaced and the car ran like a champ.

I doubt it's a motor mount problem with yours because I believe with a bad motor mount(s), your car does not shut off.

Def. check the MAF as it's one of the most common problems we have these cars.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:39 PM

CLK 430
Umm I didn't even think to check the intakes, I will go check those in just a minute. cleaned my MAF during the summer and it ran with no problems. I will check the battery, it was replaced less than a year ago, but I will disconnect it and let it sit. I know that there has been alot of disruption because I've had to use the spare a few times.

I do need to replace my air filters but I don't think that they are clogged cuz I cleaned them a few months ago.

Ugh, this sucks.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 AM

06 S55 AMG
I agree with Jessica about the misfiring on your car. My friend is a mechanic and he informed me before that when your CEL light is blinking it means that your car is in fact misfiring. The blinking CEL light is trying to get your attention to inform you that your car is dumping a lot of unburnt fuel on your CATS which can damage it. The O2 sensors are the one detecting that unburnt fuel and I believe he also said that your CPS(crankshaft position sensor) is also detecting the misfire. If your spark plug cables are loose or wet, they will cause this. It might be something else tho...

INMO, it might be your spark plugs/cables. If you tried to check the MAF, Filters and motor mounts...try checking your spark plugs for condensation or if your ex unplugged some of your spark plug cables. Sorry if im not that much of a help but thats all that I can think about so far.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Whats your mileage?? have you changed out the cps yet? Thats a quick and cheap fix that can cause those symptoms. Then find a NEW parking spot!! hahaha