CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CD Changer croaked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK200
CD Changer croaked

Well its official, my changer is officially dead. It stopped reading the discs about a week ago, so I had it checked by a technician today, cleaned the optics and all mechanics working fine. Fibre optic cable looks good and secure connection, but it is just not reading the disc.

This car is a Japan CLK200, 2001, with command. The changer is an MB 12 disc. Now all the stuff I read on this forum about CD changer problems, refered to 6 disc units made by Denon I think. I have included a couple pics of mine:CD Changer croaked-pic065.jpg CD Changer croaked-pic066.jpg(sorry it was dark and I only had my phone with me)

Can anyone tell me if any CLK models in the states came with this changer?
And a part number if possible? Right now I am fiddleing with an MP3 player hooked up through the aux port in the glove box.

My command system is a little bit different than the US model. CD Changer croaked-pic057.jpgThe disc slot on the dash is blocked off, so no in dash CD and the NAV info is factory loaded into the unit, so no need for the NAV CD. But the changer still uses the orange fibreoptic cable and separate power wires.

Finally, I was even thinking of installing aftermarket head unit with changer/DVD (whatever), which would mean the complete removal of the command unit. But I am concerned about how integrated the command system is with the rest of the car. I mean, how will I be able to set the clock? Right now I se it through the command system. Will removal of the system have any effect on the info screen on the speedo? Has anyone done this without any hiccups?? And of course how will the aftermarket head unit sound using the stock speakers???

Any and all advise on a suggested course of action is very much welcome. Because I seriously am not sure which route to take.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:08 PM

2001 CLK200
Wow, no ideas from anyone? I thought this was a pretty common problem with the changers. Does anyone have any ideas if the 6disc with the optical cable is a standard fit on all the cars???

Like I said any advice welcome
Old 02-27-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
01 clk 430
I can tell you that on my 01 430 cd changer is different from yours. Other than that I can't tell you much else...

Do a MBWorld search on aftermarket cd/dvd/nav setups. Many clk owners on this board have done this. I was close to doing it until I had cat converter issues so my money went to them.

My recommendation would be to look into avic z series units made by Pioneer. I did a lot of research and was going to go with a avic z3. They have man options including bluetooth connectivity, back-up cameras, hard drive music storage ect. Youtube has videos of them in operation. I have also heard good things about units made by Kenwwood and Alpine.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:54 PM

2001 CLK200
Thanks Gundo. I know the changers are different, but the connectivity seems to be the same. I managed to take mine out this afternoon and had a look. Now I am sure someone can verify this for me.

On mine there is a three wire plug and a 2 wire orange optical cable plug. Can anyone confirm if this is the same connection on the 6disc changers?

Also, are these cahngers plug and play, or do they have to be programmed to work with the system??
Old 03-01-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
I have the same connection with my 6 disc. If your car is already version coded for the cd loop I would guess it to be plug and play but cannot confirm for ya. If you dont need the cd capability for the nav to work I'd just pass on the cd all together and swap in a ipod interface.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 PM

2001 CLK200
iPod interface??? Are you telling me there is something I can hook up to the system using the optical cable that works with iPods???
Old 03-02-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Absolutely! Do a search, there are a few options. If charging of the ipod is not a priority, using the aux input in the glove box works fine with a >10 dollar cable.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:26 PM

2001 CLK200
Right now I have the cable thingy with the mp3 player, but I dont like that setup. I need something a little more convenient, and I liked it when the changer worked. Is there anything to hook up to the cable that can play mp3 discs???