CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Do you need to use the AC frequently to stop seals leaking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Do you need to use the AC frequently to stop seals leaking?

HI Guys

I got the AC topped up last year in the summer and it worked great, however as the weather got colder through winter I didnt use the AC much at all but just the heater. And now the weather is getting warmer again I have tried the AC but its not cold at all.
I have been told you should try and use the AC even when its cold so the seals inside the AC unit do not dry out, is this true?

I am in the UK and have the dial type of AC not the electronic type. In the manual it said to just leave the dials in the 'white' part. Does anyone use it this method? (you can just see in the photo the dial type)

PS if there's are good guide you know to check for leaks on the AC system let me know.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Do you need to use the AC frequently to stop seals leaking?-pacadpator-1-.jpg  
Old 04-14-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
I tend to use the A/C all year round. I have the electronic climate control.

In the winter it stops the air being dry inside the car and condensation build up on the glass for a clear view.

You should use it because in the refridgeration gas there is a lubricant to stop the seals from drying out and hardening.

My gas system tends to last 18 months or so. Occasionally (if not raining) in the winter I do turn it off.

When you get the car re-gassed the operator should perform a vacuum test. Mine does. Hopefully you won't have any leaks as that is going to be expensive!

Hope that helps!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
You could just need a charge. I leave my air on year round but I had to charge the system last April.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by C280 Sport
You could just need a charge. I leave my air on year round but I had to charge the system last April.
I had the AC system checked and there was no leak dectected. The air was re-charged and the car is nice and cool once again. !!
I will take you advice and just leave the AC on as last year I pressed the EC (Economy) button which turns off the AC, and I had it turned off for about 3 months ! so maybe this is why the gas did not last?

I have the dial type of controls on my car and I read in the manual to just leave the dials in the middle i.e, in the white part. This seems to work great. as in the morning it warms the car as its cooler, and in the evening it automaticaly puts on the AC to cool the car. Whereas before I use to constantly turn the dials to red for warm and blue to cool, now I just leave them in the middle on white!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:57 PM

Glad it worked out!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:46 PM

1999 CLK320
how much should i expect to pay for a charge? $100?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:45 PM

It depends where you go. I know a small shop and he charges £60.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Pauljay
It depends where you go. I know a small shop and he charges £60.
Not sure about the US, but my tip would be to get the aircon topped up and checked in the winter . Halfords in the UK do the service for £45 in summer and only £25 in winter. The do the full leak test and lubricate and recharge using the same machine as the dealer.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by sfclk
how much should i expect to pay for a charge? $100?
Very easy job to DIY. I did it myself without ever trying it before and I just paid the cost of products. Just make sure you dont overcharge and you get the write type of freon. I did all my research on this forum and I was able to get everything I needed in terms of information to make sure I didnt screw anything up.

GL

For your reference:
http://www.eclassbenz.com/node/27
http://www.eclassbenz.com/acdiag
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ling-help.html
Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by A1EK
I have been told you should try and use the AC even when its cold so the seals inside the AC unit do not dry out, is this true?

Yes, very true. The AC need to be turn on at least once a month just for a couple minutes so nothing dry out. And also remember, when turn on the AC for the first time in awhile, don't turn it on while the engine is in high rpm. Try turn it on during idling to allow better lubrication.