CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK newbeeeeeeee

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99' CLK430 Sport
CLK newbeeeeeeee

Hello all
I'm sure most of this has been covered before in the how-to's but for the life of me i cant find them. I have recently acquired a 99 CLK430 Sport (AMG badged eeeww), which has a few knigling issues...

- the sunroof sticks.. presuming a reset and grease is in order here?
- same with the windows, occasionally sticks and wont close fully. they do have a tint applied to them though?
- the AC feels quite weak, apart from checking the freon and for leaks, does that filter under the dash have something to do with it as there is a slight blast of coldish air?
- the traction control kicks in while driving normally in a straight line when the road has a slight bend or undulation. Is that just old school traction control??
- i've noticed as well that the ABS/BAS lights come on while sitting in traffic occasionally. Could that be a faulty sensor or again a Merc 'little thing'?
- the rear reversing lights don't come on! I've been told the switch is under the car, true?
- the screen washers arn't working too, the headlight ones do but the screen ones don't. Are there two washer motors?
- I've read somewhere that a ECU reset might be good for a lot of the non mechanical issues, true or false?

Apart from those, the cars great. Not quite as much fun as my old Porsche did but it makes great groooowwwwll high up the revs :-)

Any help would be great, cheers
Old 04-29-2009, 10:04 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
First off, welcome!
Secondly, good call in removing the AMG badges.

Heres a little direction. Theres alot of really sharp people on here. You'll find alot of info.

- the sunroof sticks.. presuming a reset and grease is in order here?
Clean and lube the tracks/ search for the sunroof reset instructions
- same with the windows, occasionally sticks and wont close fully. they do have a tint applied to them though? search window reset, I don't believe the tint will hinder you here in this fashion
- the AC feels quite weak, apart from checking the freon and for leaks, does that filter under the dash have something to do with it as there is a slight blast of coldish air?It couldnt hurt to change the cabin filter, replacement instructions can be searched/ possibly recharge?
- the traction control kicks in while driving normally in a straight line when the road has a slight bend or undulation. Is that just old school traction control??This does not sound normal to me, but could be related to your next stated problem
- i've noticed as well that the ABS/BAS lights come on while sitting in traffic occasionally. Could that be a faulty sensor or again a Merc 'little thing'?very possibly tied into prob above, search stop lamp switch
- the rear reversing lights don't come on! I've been told the switch is under the car, true? I believe the switch to be in the trans or even in the trans module under the console (not sure on this one)
- the screen washers arn't working too, the headlight ones do but the screen ones don't. Are there two washer motors? Happened to me too, if you know what safety wire is (thin hard metal wire) stick it in the washer jet holes and clean them out. There are four total, two per side.
- I've read somewhere that a ECU reset might be good for a lot of the non mechanical issues, true or false? There is a soft reset you can do/ it tends to help more with the adaptive throttle/ trans on your car
Old 04-30-2009, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99' CLK430 Sport
Cheers for the advise, i'll check it all out