CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Fuel Gauge sticking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Fuel Gauge sticking?

Hey Guys

I have looked through the posts on issues with fuel gauge readings on the dash but need some clear info.

My fuel gauge is playing up a bit and seems to stick giving a miss leading reading on the dashboard. If I turn the car off the needle drops and when I turn the car back on the needle rises again, so I'm sure the dashboard needle is fine.
I have read that the sensors on the fuel tank can fail, my question is, how do I locate the sensors, and can they be cleaned ?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-17-2009, 06:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
I have been told that some people can have a little luck with fuel system cleaner... long shot if you ask me. Mine are acting up too, have been for awhile.

Both sensors are in tank (tank needs to be dropped for access).

MB dealer says that they don't even troubleshoot, they just change both. Not caring which one went bad. I agree with that actually. approx $700.

Finally, along with CPS, MAF, dash pixels, window motors, Brake lamp switch.... this item seems to be another "High hit/ Less talked about" problem area for the w208.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by unlukky
I have been told that some people can have a little luck with fuel system cleaner... long shot if you ask me. Mine are acting up too, have been for awhile.

Both sensors are in tank (tank needs to be dropped for access).

MB dealer says that they don't even troubleshoot, they just change both. Not caring which one went bad. I agree with that actually. approx $700.

Finally, along with CPS, MAF, dash pixels, window motors, Brake lamp switch.... this item seems to be another "High hit/ Less talked about" problem area for the w208.

Hope this helps.
I thought the sensors could be accessed without dropping the tank? do you know where I should look around the tank to see?