CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy owner of '98 CLK 320
Fuel pump

Heya guys and gals.

Does any of you know, if it is difficult to change the fuel pump by yourself?

For a long time, I have had a problem with the car, I think I might be able to correct by changing the fuel pump. On a side note, I thought I might as well do the fuel filter at the same time (though I don't know if its a logic thing to do).

I drive a CLK320 '98 sports edition coupe.
I am not exactly a skilled mechanic, but I would just like to do most repairs myself if possible.

Best regards
Wobert
Old 06-11-2009, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
It is really easy to change out and both the filter and pump are co-located right next to the rear passenger tire. You will have to remove a plastic cover to get to the pump and filter but after that you will see them both and its really straight forward from there.

The only thing I recommend is that you pull the fuel pump fuse and run the car till it dies out. This will remove all the fuel pressure from the pump and filter and make it MUCH easier and cleaner to do the change-out.

Greg
Old 06-11-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by gregory13lil
It is really easy to change out and both the filter and pump are co-located right next to the rear passenger tire. You will have to remove a plastic cover to get to the pump and filter but after that you will see them both and its really straight forward from there.

The only thing I recommend is that you pull the fuel pump fuse and run the car till it dies out. This will remove all the fuel pressure from the pump and filter and make it MUCH easier and cleaner to do the change-out.

Greg
Thanks Greg!

That sounds like a good advice, but I have a followup question or two...

Is the fuse located in/near the fuel pump?
I have been told it is damaging to the engine to run out of fuel. Is that just a rumor for dummies?

Best regards
Wobert
Old 06-12-2009, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
The fuse is located inside your trunk next to the spare tire on the passenger side. You should see a black fuse cover...remove that cover and it should state exactly what fuse controls your Fuel pump. All you have to do is remove it and then start the car till it dies.

The damaging part of running out of fuel only comes into play when you actually run out of fuel when you are still pulling fuel from the tank. The reason for this problem is that when you run low on fuel when normally driving then you will start pulling all the trash, water and any other gunk/junk that is lying at the very bottom of the tank that you are now trying to siphon through your pump and into the engine.

You will not be doing this..you will actually just be running out of clean fuel and the car will just shut down due to lack of fuel.

When you change the pump and filter you will have to cycle the starting process at least 5-6 times without actually starting the car so that the fuel pump will have time to fill up the fuel filter, fuel lines and also rid the system of air that you introduced when you opened the fuel system up.

Greg
Old 06-12-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by gregory13lil
you will have to cycle the starting process at least 5-6 times without actually starting the car
Greg
Just to make sure something is not lost in translation...
Does the above mean turning the ignitionkey to the point just before starting the car, letting it stay there for a few secs, and then turning it off, repeating 5+ times, or is there something else involved?

Best regards
Wobert
Old 06-12-2009, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by Wobert
Just to make sure something is not lost in translation...
Does the above mean turning the ignitionkey to the point just before starting the car, letting it stay there for a few secs, and then turning it off, repeating 5+ times, or is there something else involved?

Best regards
Wobert
You are exactly correct!!

Greg
Old 06-12-2009, 06:32 PM

Thank you very much, you have been most helpful!
Spare parts are now waiting for me at my local MB dealership.
I plan to change the pump and filter next week.

Best regards
Wobert
Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
I would also suggest taking a digital picture of the filter and pump before you change them out so that you can look back at it if you forget how the hoses are all connected there. Believe me it will be a LIFE SAVER!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!!

Greg