CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Front License Plate Holder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
Front License Plate Holder

I've had my 430 for about 3 weeks, and my plates came in at the dealer this week. Getting ready to put them on, I'm looking at the front of the car and thinking...damn, I really don't want to put the front plate on. In fact, I would really like to dispose of the un-sightly rectangle protruding fron the front bumper. I'm guessing this would mean filling in the screw holes after removing it, and re-painting the whole bumper. Has anyone else done this? Thanks in advance...

GaryL
Old 02-19-2003, 12:56 AM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes 2001 CLK55 AMG, 2000 ML320
Hi Garry,

Filling up the two screw holes in your front bumper is much easier than you think. Here is what I did:
1. Go to Home Depot or Orchard, etc... and pick up small plastic round plugs in severak sizes (size of an eraser head).
2. Go to your MB dealer and pick up a paint touch up kit in the color of your choice.
3. Remove your license plate holder from the front bumper and "clean up" the drilled holes. This means use a pointed exacto knife or drill bit to clean out the hole and or resize the hole to be slightly smaller than the plug that you want to use.
4. Paint the plug with the MB touch up paint. Wait until the paint is dry and put on the clear coat that comes with the touch up kit.
5. Wait half a day or so until the paint and clear coat is COMPLETELY dry, then just press it into place.

If you do it right, it will look like the plugs that I created for my car. Check it out.

Good luck.

Last edited by f1vu; 02-19-2003 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:12 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
Thanks! This is what I had in mind, but was not sure how to proceed. I want to do some minor things to clean up the car's appearance, while I try to make a decision on wheels and other stuff. I think I'm going to order the painted side marker covers this week. BTW, those headlight rings look nice.

GaryL
Old 02-19-2003, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
The real bummer here is that when some people remove the dealer installed license plate bracket, they find the dealer drilled 3-4 extra holes. I've seen as many as 6 holes in a bumper under the brackets !