CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

DETAILING MY BLACK CLK430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 C300 4MATIC
DETAILING MY BLACK CLK430

Hey Guys,

My car needs some serious detailing and I wanted to do everything by hand with microfiber clothes and soft detailing sponge applicators. I have a black car and it has a lot of swirl marks and I mean a lot. I was wondering if the Mothers product line is extremely effective on a BLACK CAR. The following list is what I am going to buy from Mothers. Tell me what you think.

Meguairs NXT Soap
Mothers Clay Bar System: $23.39
Mothers Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound: $37.58
Mothers Machine Glaze: $29.02
Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner — UWS® Step 1: $5.69
Mothers Sealer & Glaze — UWS® Step 2: $7.29
Mothers Pure Carnauba Wax — UWS® Step 3 (paste): $19.99

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Last edited by CLK430Benz; 08-15-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by CLK430Benz
Hey Guys,

My car needs some serious detailing and I wanted to do everything by hand with microfiber clothes and soft detailing sponge applicators. I have a black car and it has a lot of swirl marks and I mean a lot. I was wondering if the Mothers product line is extremely effective on a BLACK CAR. The following list is what I am going to buy from Mothers. Tell me what you think.

Meguairs NXT Soap

Thanks
Where in NY? I am in Manhattan. I have a black clk 430 also and I have def gotten a lot of good results from the products you listed as well as from meguiars products. The biggest thing would be using a claybar. That really makes a difference and helps bring out the shine more than you think. And even if you dont see it, you will def feel it as you will get a lot of contaminants off your finish thru claybarring. As far as applying the products by hand, you will get decent results as long as you put in the proper elbow grease. The reason why pros use machines is because you want to generate a little bit of heat when applying the products as they are all contain micro abrasives which help refinish the clear coat on your car and polish away the swirl marks.

Honestly, go through a four step process

Clay Bar, Swirl Remover, then a Glaze then a wax. If you are looking for a deep rich shine and color, then Glaze two times then wax.

Obviously you want to wash your car before your clay bar and some people I know wash it after you clay bar also

Thats how I usually do my car and it usually leaves it looking like its wet and water is flowing down the side.
Important to keep in a cool shade also.

GL and post pics of your results.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by CLK430Benz
Hey Guys,

Meguairs NXT Soap

Thanks
Not sure what your skill/experience level is...but be very careful with rubbing compounds. I would suggest even avoiding them unless absolutely necessary. Usually what you should do is start with something less aggressive and check the results before moving to a more aggressive product. If you haven't already, check out Meguiar's Online forums: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/ I'm pretty sure Mother's has an online community too.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes AMG
Does these products really gives nice results? Never heard of them.