CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Check Engine and ESP/BAS Warning!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-22-2003, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 55
Check Engine and ESP/BAS Warning!

I was merging onto the highway today and accelerated to merge with the traffic when the car seemed to hit the rev limiter after downshifting. After hitting the rev limiter I got a message saying "BAS/ESP malfunction, visit workshop" and the check engine light came on. The car also refused to accelerate and came to a stop. Luckily I made it into the breakdown lane, however when I came to a stop the car started shaking a lot. After turning it off and back on, the BAS/ESP light went off, but the check engine light stayed on. So I turned back to head home, the car turned off by itself twice when I came to a stop at traffic lights. I'm taking it to the dealer ASAP, but wanted to hear from anyone if this happened to them, or if you know anything about it?
Thanks
Old 02-22-2003, 03:54 AM

///M3
It had happened to me twice. I believe that this is a very common error with Mercedes. I immediately drove to my dealer and got it fixed under warranty. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:01 AM

CLK 320 Avantgarde
ESP/BAS Error message

Last week the the BAS/ESP error message came up, while I was pulling out from my drive and I just restarted the engine and it disappeared. I have already had the switch replaced 2 years ago for a continuious error message but this time it came once and has not come back? Is this ok? Or worth getting checked out?

N
Old 02-22-2003, 01:05 PM

the same thing happened to me like 2 months after I got my car, and I got it fixed at the dealer. I think its happened 2 more times in 2 1/2 years but those times I just restarted the car too and it didnt come back on.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:14 PM

CLK 55
Thanks for all the replies! For some reason, I thought the problem might be caused by dirty fuel since the car would turn itself off at idle and was shaking aggresively. I'll have to wait to see what the dealer says.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
............this has happened to me several times but without any change in the cars behavior. The car will be driving just fine and all the ESP etc lights will come on. When I turn the engine off and back on, it dissappears. I think there must be a great mechanic tucked underneath my car because, like a computer turning the car off and back seems to fix everything from the comand to ESP lights to my iol pressure guage which was stuck on zero.

Ted
Old 02-26-2003, 03:01 PM

CLK 55
Just to update all of you, I just got the car back from the dealer. They had to replace the mass air flow sensor. The car runs fine now!