CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help! instrument cluster and shifter lights out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK
Question Help! instrument cluster and shifter lights out

I have a 2002 CLK and for some reason the only interior lights that come on (other than the instrument cluster) are the A/C controls and the radio. The lights around the shifter dont come on, as well as the lights on the door, the three buttons on top of the A/C controls, and the buttons that control the sunroof and courtesy llights. My mechanic seems to think it has to do with the instrument cluster being faulty (since its having a pixel problem). Does the cluster control all the interior lights? perhaps the dimmer is acting up? any help will be greatly appreciated.

thnx
Old 11-17-2009, 08:13 PM

CLK
Whoops...let me clarify, the cluster DOES light up..its just the rest of the lights other than A/C and Radio do not!!! are those lights controlled by the cluster?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
The pixels going out on the cluster have absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the lights not turning on GUARANTEED!!! There is a do it yourself (DIY) fix on this forum if you do a search, the ribbon cable has gotten loose and needs to be reseated or have extra pressure applied to them in order to have the cable make contact with the board.

Now..can you please explain one more time what lights do not work. If I have this correct the only lights that work are the Dash cluster, A/C controls, and the Radio?? All the other lights ie...Overhead light, map lights, center console etc do not work at all? I think it might be a fuse or something. Have you checked all your fuses?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:02 PM

CLK
Thanks for the response Greg, to clarify the dome lights and courtesy lights themselves turn on, what does not illuminate are the actual buttons on switches. Also the memory buttons on the door do not lights up as well as all the buttons around the shifter and the shifter light itself. It seems like there would be short..so is it safe to say that all these lights not coming on is not related to the faulty instrument cluster/dimmer? The cluster lights, AC controls, and radio do light up. Everything else does not.
Thanks also for the DIY on the pixels..I will try that out.
I checked the fuses and they are ok...perhaps they need to be replaced anyway? thanks in advance for your assistance..