CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How Replace Transmission Control Unit module/connector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
in one of the post somewhere for the fluid change procedure it was mentioned that with your buddy in the car with his foot on the brake etc. It didn't say the trans has to be in gear. I assume it does to pump out fluid, yes? And, if so, if you put the car in park will that stop the fluid from pumping out or do you have to turn the car off? TIA.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
in one of the post somewhere for the fluid change procedure it was mentioned that with your buddy in the car with his foot on the brake etc. It didn't say the trans has to be in gear. I assume it does to pump out fluid, yes? And, if so, if you put the car in park will that stop the fluid from pumping out or do you have to turn the car off? TIA.
Can't recall for certain, but I don't think trans has to be in gear--it will pump in park. Only thing that stops the pumping is to turn the ignition off.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 E430 AWD
My TCU, 030 545 23 32, appears to be dead from wickering transmission fluid. I've found a few used ones around for a lot less then the grand the dealer is charging.

The mechanic is recommending that I also replace the wires because of the oil. He is not going to replace the harness but instead run new wires. Is this necessary?

Is there a compatibility issue with using a used TCU?

It appears that the only other thing that needs replacing is the connector / adapter. What about any electrical components in the transmission?

Thanks,
David
Old 07-23-2011, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C32 AMG - 2009 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by dmorsberger
My TCU, 030 545 23 32, appears to be dead from wickering transmission fluid. I've found a few used ones around for a lot less then the grand the dealer is charging.

The mechanic is recommending that I also replace the wires because of the oil. He is not going to replace the harness but instead run new wires. Is this necessary?

Is there a compatibility issue with using a used TCU?

It appears that the only other thing that needs replacing is the connector / adapter. What about any electrical components in the transmission?

Thanks,
David

this is what i am having to have done....$400 there replacing the multi plug to fix leak and run new wires/harness/plugs...it appears my TCU may be fine
Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Here is a link to a great DIY on replacing the leaky little adapter plug. The DIY in the link also describes another transmission procedure, but I found it particularly useful in helping me to locate the adapter plug, as there are pics of the plug "in place."

Replacing AT Adapter Plug
The following users liked this post:
shadenfroh (08-06-2016)