CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My sicka$$ front strut bar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
A bit hard to see but it looks like the box is wedged ahead of the bar spacer and the tension of the cables are pulling it back against the spacer? did you secure it by drilling two new holes?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
there is no tension on the box from the cables!
furthermore, i didn't secure it to anything as it has no place to go
I have owned this car for a long time and have never used that box to jump the car!
Old 01-16-2010, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
Smile front strut bar update

mounting the front strut bar today and had a couple of pics to post. I have the new spacer vipclk320 made and hopefully the pic attached. the throttle body thingie was too high for the bar to clear so I cut the bolts off flush with the bracket that it was mounted to, drilled out the holes(can be tricky so make sure you scribe a starting point to drill), then mounted the throttle from the underside of the bracket on the fire wall using three washers to space it down. Voila!
Attached Thumbnails My sicka$$ front strut bar-strut-bar-pics-022.jpg   My sicka$$ front strut bar-strut-bar-pics-023.jpg  
Old 01-16-2010, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
Looking good......Nicely done with the throttle sensor
Old 01-16-2010, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK W208
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
mounting the front strut bar today and had a couple of pics to post. I have the new spacer vipclk320 made and hopefully the pic attached. the throttle body thingie was too high for the bar to clear so I cut the bolts off flush with the bracket that it was mounted to, drilled out the holes(can be tricky so make sure you scribe a starting point to drill), then mounted the throttle from the underside of the bracket on the fire wall using three washers to space it down. Voila!
Hey David i'm glad install was easy. but to be honest with you, you didn't have to go through all that trouble of drilling holes, all you had to do is un-do the knots on the throttle sensor and just move the throutle sensor up one hole and thats it, but your way works too, My intentions of the design was to minimise cutting and drilling, but i'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
Up one hole?

I'm not sure what you mean by moving it up one hole Ash. if you mean move it to the right, the electrical connection hit the brake fluid resivoir and it wouldn't work. see the right side of the second picture. there was not enough room for it to fit. I would like to see a close up pic of what you are talking about so I understand cuz I probably missed something. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
I'm not sure what you mean by moving it up one hole Ash. if you mean move it to the right, the electrical connection hit the brake fluid resivoir and it wouldn't work. see the right side of the second picture. there was not enough room for it to fit. I would like to see a close up pic of what you are talking about so I understand cuz I probably missed something. Thanks!
Yes, move it up a hole, and the edge will sit under the brake booster lines and it fits perfect. the throttle sensor can be moved any wehere and it's not going to effect it's functionality, because what matters is the distance between the end of the cable and the cable strecher piece.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 CLK 320
You could have checked my pictures. It would have shown you clearly.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
Will

I did check your pic and had a print out of it when I did my install. A and B the your pic and my pic. It looks like the bracket on my car is in a different place than on yours or perhaps it is shaped differently. Anyway, I really tried to mount the throttle thingie as you did but it wouldn't fit. there just wasn't room against the brake fluid resevoir. My method worked but I just trying to understand how y'all did what you did. it's all good. Thanks y'all.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 SL55 2022 GLE350
very nice work on the brace
Old 01-17-2010, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
I did check your pic and had a print out of it when I did my install. A and B the your pic and my pic. It looks like the bracket on my car is in a different place than on yours or perhaps it is shaped differently. Anyway, I really tried to mount the throttle thingie as you did but it wouldn't fit. there just wasn't room against the brake fluid resevoir. My method worked but I just trying to understand how y'all did what you did. it's all good. Thanks y'all.
That's intrexting because our cars are identical years and models. but all that matters is that you made it work and actually your solution for the throttle sensor is much better than ours, it just requires more work and you many people aren't a fan of a little extra work so thats why i recomended to just move it up. but I think I'm gonna take mine out and do it like yours because I really like your idea. See with posetive conversations you learn something new just like i did, thanks david for the great idea I will be converting mine to your mounting style.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by Fastgreek
very nice work on the brace
I've also tested this strut bar on the W210 E-class and they work great, let me know if you want one I have a few left.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
Thumbs up feedbacl

thanks for the kudos guys. I hope it works for you too. I have no physics nor mechanical training but when I can see something the inspiritation just comes to me and I know how to make it work . it was probably just a flashback or something from the 70s. just make sure that if you do try my approach, once you have cut the bolts off the bracket that the throttle thingie mounts to make sure you scribe or mark the starting drill point well enough or deep enough so the drill bit has a starting point. you will be drilling a harder steel than the bracket around it. if you don't, the drill bit will dance around and you won't be able to center the new hole. Capish? Etiendo?