CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How are these related: 1. Conductor Plate 2. A/T Adapter 3. Control Module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
How are these related: 1. Conductor Plate 2. A/T Adapter 3. Control Module

How are these related: 1. Conductor Plate 2. A/T Adapter 3. Control Module - in 722.623 transmission

Have been reading about two issues which I think I have to address/repair in my vehicle (Year 2000 430 CLK, 99,000 miles). I recently ordered all the parts to repair the A/T plug adapter and change out the trans fluid in the pan and the torque converter. If the Conductor Plate is part of this problem, then I would like to order these parts also, but I am looking for some clarification, so that I can understand these things correctly.

Question 1:
Regarding the A/T Adapter Plug, and the Conductor Plate, are these two independent issues or are they related--does one cause the other, or what?

Question 2:
Where is the Control Unit located that is supposed to be fouled by the leaky A/T Plug ? ...and is this control unit the same as the TCM (trans control module) ?

Question 3:
Can anyone direct me to a "How To" on replacing the conductor plate ?

Thanks
PS. If you give me an answer, then I ask that you kindly follow this posting, because I will likely have a follow up question or two.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
WOW..ok here we go LOL

How are these related: 1. Conductor Plate 2. A/T Adapter 3. Control Module - in 722.623 transmission Ok, we will start at the inside of the transmission.

1. The Conductor plate is located inside of the transmission at the very bottom. It is located right above the Transmission folter. In order to replace it you would have to take the transmission pan cover off and the transmission filter. Here is a pic of the conductor plate, I have circled the part where the A/T adapter connects to it in Red.

2. The A/T Adapter is actually a BIG plastic plug with O-rings that externally connects to the conductor plate thats located inside of the transmission. This is where all the data from the computer tells the trans what gear to be in etc.. etc.. I have attached a pic of the transmission and where the A/T plug connects to.

And one pic of the actual plug:

3. Control module..this is located on the passenger side firewall inside of a plastic box. This box has a couple cards including the Trans control card. This card connects into a slot that has wires that run to the Trans plug. The trans plug then connects to the conductor plate.

Have been reading about two issues which I think I have to address/repair in my vehicle (Year 2000 430 CLK, 99,000 miles). I recently ordered all the parts to repair the A/T plug adapter and change out the trans fluid in the pan and the torque converter. If the Conductor Plate is part of this problem, then I would like to order these parts also, but I am looking for some clarification, so that I can understand these things correctly.

Question 1:
Regarding the A/T Adapter Plug, and the Conductor Plate, are these two independent issues or are they related--does one cause the other, or what? The A/T Adapter plug leak that is normally talked about on here is completely related to the plug itself and has nothing to do with the conductor plate. The plug just has metal pins that connect it to the conductor plate so it can not make the plug leak. The plug will only leak AT Fuid on its own because the O-rings have worn out AND the old plug was badly designed. The new plug has been redesigned and has better o-rings. The Conductor plate will actually give you a code when it goes bad and the leaky AT plug will not.

Question 2:
Where is the Control Unit located that is supposed to be fouled by the leaky A/T Plug ? ...and is this control unit the same as the TCM (trans control module) ? The control unit is located inside of the engine bay on the passenger side firewall inside of a plstic box. The leaky AT plugs wires get saturated with AT fluid and will then start acting as a wick sucking up the AT fluid till it gets into that plastic box in the engine and will short out the EXPENSIVE control unit.

Question 3:
Can anyone direct me to a "How To" on replacing the conductor plate ? I will try and find one but its not that hard to get to if you are good with a wrench. Its just an extra step beyond replacing the AT filter.

OK my fingers need a rest now...gotta clean up my garage!! Good luck with this Bro and I will check later to see if you have any more questions. Ohhhh one thing what are your symptoms?? We may be able to guide you in the right direction or answer the questions with a bit more detail if we knew what the actual problem was. Hope this helps...

Greg
Attached Thumbnails How are these related: 1. Conductor Plate  2. A/T Adapter  3. Control Module-img00023-20090501-1742.jpg   How are these related: 1. Conductor Plate  2. A/T Adapter  3. Control Module-img00024-20090501-1743.jpg   How are these related: 1. Conductor Plate  2. A/T Adapter  3. Control Module-722.6-1-.jpg  

Last edited by gregory13lil; 01-24-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Sorry for delay in responding.

Symptoms: Vehicle shifting irregularly. Sometimes jumping into higher gear and staying there. Sometimes behaving normally.

Still awaiting parts to do A/T plug & change out of fluid in trans and torque converter.

Seems that I should also pull the TCM and at least clean the interface. I imagine that the wicking harness must have some sort of plug that fits into the TCM, and that this interface might have fluid in it. Guessing, because I don't know what this TCM looks like. Does this cleaning sound like something to do?

I think the TCM is located in the same bin near the passenger side firewall that also contains the interface where I plug in the multiplexer to get at the codes. If I remove that cover, and post a photo, would you be able to tell me which of the modules in there is the TCM ?...and maybe some tips on removing it for cleaning and inspection ?

Also, now that you've helped me to understand that the conductor plate is different from the TCM, what sort of damage can the conductor plate have, and what would create that damage ?

Thanks for your time and for your great help.
Attached Thumbnails How are these related: 1. Conductor Plate  2. A/T Adapter  3. Control Module-trans-control-module-tcm.jpg  

Last edited by Pancho; 01-28-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
You can easily do the A/T plug first and see if that fixes the problem. My car was having issues shifting quickly and now it shifts properly after the plug was changed and the area was cleaned out. You do not need new fluid when you do this as you will only have a couple drops come out. I would also try and see if you could pull any codes because if the problem was the conductor plate in the transmission then you would get a code that you can pull. As far as knowing what the TCU looks like..well I have never opened that box and I hope I never have a need to. So, I can't help you out there.

Ahhhh EBAY works wonders again..here is a pic of the TCU: