CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

radiator water refilling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
radiator water refilling

My friend noticed that my CLK230 needs a little topping off on the radiator. Obviously he opened the radiator cap to see this. Now i used to own BMW and they said that i should not open the radiator because air bubbles come in....

Question 1. Does this apply for the CLK as well?
Question 2. If it doesnt apply and i can open the cap myself can i top off my radiator with water or must i use antifreeze?
Question 3. If i cant open my rad cap because air bubbles will form how do i remedy this do i have to take the car for service?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2003, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: radiator water refilling

Originally posted by tablahan
My friend noticed that my CLK230 needs a little topping off on the radiator. Obviously he opened the radiator cap to see this. Now i used to own BMW and they said that i should not open the radiator because air bubbles come in....

Question 1. Does this apply for the CLK as well?
Question 2. If it doesnt apply and i can open the cap myself can i top off my radiator with water or must i use antifreeze?
Question 3. If i cant open my rad cap because air bubbles will form how do i remedy this do i have to take the car for service?

Thanks in advance!
The cooling system on your car is a self-bleeding system. This means the cap on the expansion tank is the highest point in the cooling system, so any air in the coolant rises and escapes through the cap. You can open the cap and top off your coolant without any special procedures. If the level is just a little low, just add water to bring it back up.