CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

problems tinting the rear rollups on a convertible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 FIAT Abarth 500
problems tinting the rear rollups on a convertible

Hey guys,

I've gotten the Llumar ATX film on the rears as well as the front roll ups. Only problem is, I've gone to my shop twice already since December and will need to go a third time. In the picture, I've circled the problematic area (not my car, I forgot who it belongs to--sorry). I wanted to see if you guys had a similar problem and had a better fix.

On the interior side of the glass on the far back of the windowsill, there's a rubber gasket or guide mounted; on this gasket there's two small, vertical metal "guides" or something (why MB put bare metal facing the glass, I don't know). Because of these metal guides, over the course of me rolling the windows up and down, the tint starts to scratch up really bad and eventually just rip at the rear corners. My tint guy tried to spray 3M adhesive that bonds to porous surfaces (since the gasket is rubber) and mount felt over these metal guides but the felt continues to just tear off and I'm back at square one.

I'm curious because I'm sure I'm not the only W208 owner with this problem and why my guy can't figure out a way to circumvent these metal thingys. If you guys could help save me from going back to the shop a fourth time, I'd definitely appreciate.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-31-2010, 12:46 PM

2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Am I the only one with this problem?

Old 03-31-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
never tried to tint mine but I have noticed a "guide" mark on the window when it is raised and lowered. Looks to be more of a rubber contact though??
Old 03-31-2010, 05:29 PM

2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Originally Posted by bobbyjo9
never tried to tint mine but I have noticed a "guide" mark on the window when it is raised and lowered. Looks to be more of a rubber contact though??
Hmm, take a look down there if you would please and let me know what you find--I'm curious to see if I just need to get new parts.

I definitely have bare metal exposed to the glass; if no one else has this I guess I'll take it to the dealer and see what they have to say about it.