CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Yet another person with soft top problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk430
Yet another person with soft top problems

I know this topic has been beaten to death but I have a slightly different soft top problem with my 2001 CLK430.

The top stopped operating a couple of days ago while putting it up. It stopped and the rear would not lock into place on the lid leaving that 1/2" gap someone else mentioned. I played around with the switch with no success and finally hit the headrest button in the down position and it locked. Now I have headrests that go up and down with no issues but a top that won't. When I hold the button for the top I get what I would call a slow blinking light which reading in other posts would mean a bad relay but then I read that the relay is for both the top and the headrests which would mean my headrest should not work but they do. The trunk release works and it opens with the key as well. When I turn the key to the on position the red light on the headrest button illuminates and stays on. When the car is running that light shuts off after a few seconds. Now I did notice a cable hanging down on the drivers side that appears to have been fastened into one of the steel bows in the top about hald way back. Could this have possibly triggered a sensor or does this cable just keep everything taught. Any help is appreciated here as this is very frustrating for me.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Oh man, I just had this problem today. Just pushed the roll bar button and the top locked!

Finally got it to lock and everything's closed up but now I too have just operating roll bars with no soft top operation.

Last edited by mint; 04-19-2010 at 11:50 AM.