CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

99 CLK rain sensors...again!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 S550 4Matic, '12 SL63 AMG, '13 ML350, '16 AMG GT-S Ed. 1,'03 Ford F-250
99 CLK rain sensors...again!

A few weeks ago I had taken a rock to my windshield and suffered a very large crack. I had the dealer replace with an OE shield and when I got it back, they did not reset the rain sensing wipers. I took it back a few days later and still no rain sensing wipers. This morning I took it in to have my new tires put on and told them to reset my wipers. At this time I told them to drive it in the rain...which they did not. So I get back in my car after the new tires are on, and yes, no rain sensing wipers. They told me the rain sensing wipers were working when we poured water on them in the bay. I ask them, "don't you need to drive it in order to fully check the "speed sensitive" component of speed sensitive wipers?

Can anyone tell me why they are unable to reset these? They worked prior to the broken glass. They are a part of the K3 options aren't they?

Just trying to get some info for my dealer.

Thanks a million!
Old 03-30-2003, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Brian.... the wipers are NOT speed sensitive... you can be going 1mph or 100mph... if there is no rain, it won't wipe.

They are 'rain sensing wipers'.... meaning they will only wipe when the sensor senses rain..... turn it on, and pour a bucket of water on it... if it wipes, then it works. If you prefer to test it out while the car is in motion, drive around the block when it is raining.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Set wiper control to intermittent and get a squirt bottle with water. Start engine.

Squirt water from the outside windshield onto the sensor, which is located in front of the rear-view mirror, a 5mm dot built into the windshield.

If the sensor works,- the more water you spray, the faster the wipe.

If the sensor does not work, it will wipe at the default rate, -- about 5 seonds for a wipe/swipe on a regular interval, - no mater how hard it rains or you squirt.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 S550 4Matic, '12 SL63 AMG, '13 ML350, '16 AMG GT-S Ed. 1,'03 Ford F-250
Thank you for the replies and the clarification. But here's what is going on. When the setting is on intermittent and there is water on the windshield, the wiper will wipe once only and not wipe again. Not matter how much water is on the windshield. I took it for a drive during a light rain on a county highway and then the interstate to see if they would come on and they would not. There was definitely enough water for them to come on...at least for my taste!

I'll try my own test at home by applying water to the windshield and see how it reacts.

Thanks again!
Old 03-30-2003, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Brian -

save gas - use the squirt/spray bottle as I suggested.

Let us know the results.

ps:

usually, when you set wipers to "intermittent", it swipes only ONCE.

If you spray to simulate rain, the swipe rate should increase according to the amount of water sprayed and sensed by the infrared dot/sensor.