CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

'01 clk320 : Transmission won't shift out of 1st gear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 C320, 1997 E320, 1993 300e & 2005 F150 Supercrew
Hey BJaltima,

Just following up to see if your back on the road again?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 400E, 1994 E420, 2000 SL500, 2014 C250
Got everything installed, still didn't work.....took it to my mechanic, he can deal with it.....if it's too much, i'm just gonna part the car out....
Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 PM

clk430
ok my clk is not shifting out of first gear.

Ive been reading yalls post. Where is the conductor plate located?
Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 AM

Sorry for the late response....the conductor plate is located above the transmission pan. You have to take off the pan to get to it.

**Update**....mechanic says I need a new tranny. I think that's bull**** for some reason. Looking to find someone that has the multiplexer with the carsoft software that I can borrow. Will buy if I have to but after this problem, will have no use for it. Doubt that the car will be kept THAT much longer.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:14 PM

**Update** After the mechanic said a new tranny was needed, shopped around for the cheapest rebuild but decided to take it over to the dealership. I told them that I wanted the adaptations done. They said it would be 1.5 hours labor ($165) so I figured that it would either fix it or they would give me a good and exact diagnosis of the problem. They had never heard of any of these problems and looked at me like I was an idiot and that I didn't know anything about anything when it came to cars. Well, they called me to pick it up and said that there was some mechanical problem and that it wasn't fixed but they weren't going to charge me.

Got in the car, drove it.....and it's FIXED! It's like they didn't even bother to test drive it to see if it worked. I am happy that it's fixed and I didn't get charged for it, but I went to a mechanic AND to the stealership and they both said I needed a new transmission when it wasn't needed. That really bothers me. Makes me wonder how many people have gotten screwed that didn't have access to the info on this site......

Anyway, thank you Rolaes62. You were a great help and if it wasn't for you and this site, I would have had to shell out $2500-$4500 for a rebuilt tranny.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:07 PM

CLK500
Originally Posted by rolaes62
Hi again BJaltima,

I've attached a picture of the adapter plug.

YOu can get it from alot of different places. I got mine from KO performance.

Part number: 2035400253 options include...
Item # < 1 > Qty
Part #: 2035400253-22
KO Price: $7.66
Shipping: *Ship Group Qualified Part - (Ship Group?)
Stock Status: In Stock - Ready to Ship!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Book #: 203 540 02 53
Description: Adapter Plug For Cable Harness to Conductor Plate. Applications: SLK230 Trans 722.616- 170.449. See below for more applications!
Applications: CLK320 Trans 722.607- 208.365
Manufacturer: GENUINE MERCEDES

If you are looking at the transmission from underneath, it would be on the top left hand corner.( You will have to drain out your transmission fluid form the valve body or when you pull the plug out you'll have a big mess on your hand) You should see a electrical cable going into the valve housing. You will have to turn the outer clip a 1/4 turn counterclockwise, remove the plug there is a 8mm (i think) nut inside the plug. Unscrew that then the adpater should come out with some wiggling. You might have to undo the O2 sensor to get better access to the plug. Make sure you dry off the pins on the conductor plate/ electrical kit, insert the new adapter plug, screw in the nut careful not to over torque. wipe down connector (blow pins with air gun if necessary) reconnect and then try it out.
If it still doens't work, then you will have to get someone with a STAR Diagnostics or Carsoft 7.4 program/multiplexer to perform the ME/EGS adaptation (Resets TCM).
Like I stated earlier I had to replace the conductor plate, adapter plug and purchased the Carsoft 7.4 with multiplexer.

Hopefully this works for you,

PM me if you have any further questions.

Rusty

Well... I found your post too late.... same problems with my W209, '04 CLK500... Did everything BUT "drain out your transmission fluid form the valve body or when you pull the plug out you'll have a big mess on your hand"... That probably explains why the socket where the female end screws into kept pooling with ATF before I screwed it back in.

Now that I know about draining the valve body - can you tell me how I do that? Once I drain it, I will try again with the adapter plug.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:24 PM

Slk
Originally Posted by BJaltima
So the car was shifting kinda strange the other day. Then all of a sudden it stopped shifting and went into "limp mode" I guess, where it won't shift out of first gear. Pulled it over and put it in park. Then went to put it into drive and it slammed into gear.....still won't shift passed 1st gear. ANy ideas? TCM? Car had 200,222 miles when this happened....I guess 2 is not my lucky number, lol.
I know it's a long shot with a five year thread, but did your gear selector on dash show position or was it blank?
Old 08-01-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Mercedes GL450
Hi rolaes62,
I know this is an old post but I attempted to buy the icarsoft 7.4 and you cannot find a new one unless you get it from China. It has been replaced with later versions: icarsoft i980 and icarsoft MB ll, I have tried both and it will only allow me access to the transmission on one of my Mercedes. I have three 01 & 02 C240 and a 02 CLK320, they work perfect on the 02 C240, but not on the CLK which has the PO715 code. So I'm thinking about buying a used 7.4, and I wanted to know where you able to use the Diagnostic function on all of your Mercedes?
THANKS,
Old 08-27-2021, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes clk430
Clk430 wont shift out of 1st gear

Originally Posted by rolaes62
BJaltima,

Wow 200K+! If you can find out what the OBDII readings are that would be helpful in helping diagnose your issue.

I had the same problem on my 99 CLK320 it ended up being the RPM sensor1 going bad on the conductor plate/ electric kit in the transmission. I did the work myself and it ran me around $300 to fix (I purchased a multiplexer to perform the EGS & ME adaptation).

A few things you can check before diving into the transmission:

Did any liquid spill on the shifter (i.e. coffee, water, soda) if so pull the bezzel (sp) off and throughly dry off the shifter assembly (you might have to disassemble the unit to dry off the electrical module in it.

Pull the carpet back on the passenger side (I think 01's TCM is in the same location as my 99 or it might be on the firewall pasenger side some one chime in and correct me if I'm wrong) and see if any fluid has wicked into the TCM module on the floor board. If so your adapter plug from the transmission will need to be replaced. If you disconnect the battery unplug the TCM wipe down & dry the connector and pins (use a blow dry if necessary) replug the module and reconnect the battery that might get you going until you by another adapter plug (~$10 fix).

Check your trasmission fluid level.

Just brainstroming.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rusty
  • Clk430 got caught with top down in the rain last night for about 5 minutes everything soaked and today car won't shift out of first gear. Never happened before also i had to reset the gear shifter to put car in gear. Any ideal what's going on?