CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Battery disconnect created issues.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery disconnect created issues.

Vehicle: 1999 CLK 320 w208

Hi, I needed to replace the power cable to my amplifier which required me to disconnect the battery first. After completing the change two electrical gremlins arose.

- The windows "auto-close" stopped working, I have read that this needs to be reset after a battery disconnect some where, but I have no idea how to do this.
- The transmission is acting up, the car is drivable but the gear changes are erratic and some times do not change at all. It's as if the computer was affected.

Neither of these problems existed before I disconnected the battery.

Any ideas? Much appreciate the help.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
Originally Posted by pyronical
Vehicle: 1999 CLK 320 w208

Hi, I needed to replace the power cable to my amplifier which required me to disconnect the battery first. After completing the change two electrical gremlins arose.

- The windows "auto-close" stopped working, I have read that this needs to be reset after a battery disconnect some where, but I have no idea how to do this.
- The transmission is acting up, the car is drivable but the gear changes are erratic and some times do not change at all. It's as if the computer was affected.

Neither of these problems existed before I disconnected the battery.

Any ideas? Much appreciate the help.
As far as the transmission, i would not know. I never had probs with that.
Now for the windows, just reset em.
Turn key to position 2 and roll all four windows all the way up; lower each one using the non-auto mode and when they are all the way down, depress button all the way and hold for 3 seconds.

Last edited by big_mike1979; 08-01-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02clk55///2010GLK350
Try an adaptive throttle reset. It will bring the throttle computer back to factory specs. The computer will learn how you drive over the next 100 miles.

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
nice tom.... i knew that trick but i never knew it ll help the transmission as well.. we learn new things every day. thank u boss
Old 08-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLK430 Convertable
Hi,
I read your article and reply with interest. I had exactly the same problem with my car, (2001 CLK 430 Cab) at a non-Mercedes dealer. They also disconnected the battery, and my car came back running like a pig. Same symptoms, no power, erratic gear changes etc. The car went to Mercedes and they said the Air Flow meter, also known as maf sensor mass air flow needed replacing.

They charged me 1,000 Dollars for this but claimed the battery disconnect had nothing to do with the problem.

As far as I am concerned the car went into the garage in perfect running order, and after the battery disconnect was awful. The symptoms are identical to the ones you describe.

Can anyone shed any light onto this matter? Thanks.

Originally Posted by tomtomtomtom
Try an adaptive throttle reset. It will bring the throttle computer back to factory specs. The computer will learn how you drive over the next 100 miles.

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.