CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How many miles to get the emissions ready after changing EGR and resetting CEL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK320 Cabrio
How many miles to get the emissions ready after changing EGR and resetting CEL?

I had the Check Engine Light. The Benz dealer said it was the EGR valve. I went to my buddy's shop and he changed it and cleaned the pipe for me for $50. Then he re-set the CEL and told me to "drive for a little while". So I drove for about 10 miles and went to get my Massachuestts inspection sticker. It came back Emissions Not Ready and I got a big, fat reject sticker. I drove 50 miles in the highway today. When can I go back to get my sticker?

You guys are great. I've gotten a lot of useful info in this forum. Thank you!!

Gus
Old 09-03-2010, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 174 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Your buddy/shop gave you some bad advice.

Had you done a simple 'search' you would know that a CEL, after the cause is corrected, will reset after 3 cold starts however, it will still take at least a couple of hundred miles of drive time for the OBDII sensors to change from 'not ready" to 'ready'.

Having failed (e.g. for senors not ready), here in MA, you have one more chance for a free re-inspection and pass/fail.

Why do people, given the time the 208 has been in production, think their problem is a 'first' and not bother to search before asking for help?

Last edited by Serndipity; 09-03-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK320 Cabrio
Serndipity, Thank you for your response. It helps a lot.

With such a poorly built car as my CLK-320, I've had no choice but to research all kinds of problems. I knew it would clear by itself. Unfortunately, I didn't tell my friend not to clear the fault and I had assumed he would know.

Thanks,

Gus