CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

For those w/ Radar Detectors....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
Originally posted by LowRydeR
Putting an Euro plate is the same as not having front license plate, I never had my front license plate put on since I bought the car, luckly I haven't gotten pulled over for it. But I did get busted for tinted window last year.

-Bruce
yah i dont have a front license plate either but doesnt it cause more attention if you have an EU plate on the front?

i got pulled over for tint too... luckily it was just a warning
Old 04-18-2003, 10:08 PM
eee
Almost a Member!

I too have a sunshade,

You can still use it, just dont roll it all the way up.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by LAMAY123
Pictures would be great! I liked how Mmgrad set up his detector and put the display below his radio. But I have comand and I don't have any space in the center dash.

Now if I put it in the rear like yours, my rear sunshade will definitely hit it. This is what happens when your car is loaded w/ factory options and don't give any room for other "aftermarket" stuff.
Simple solution... just tint your windows a little and that is better than any sunshade... in terms of where to mount the concealed display, i had it in front of my cluster in my last car, and i'm thinking of making a custom install to integrate it into the actual cluster somewhere...

If I ever get around to that project, i'll post some info on it
Old 04-19-2003, 02:01 AM

MB
Originally posted by pigman
If a cop pulls you over and sees a radar detector, you're gettin a ticket no matter what you try to say.
Pigman: it surprises me, cause I never heard anyone get ticket because of having a radar detector. Several of my friends have been pulled over several times but they never booked them because of having a radar detector.

The radar detectors will save your money if the cops (1 or 2 miles ahead of you are shooting their guns on other cars). That way, your radar detector will let you know to slow down. :-)
Old 04-19-2003, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
................here are pics of mine. Another way is to get passport SR1 or SR7 and combine it with a Passport ZR3. This is what I did.

PICS

Ted
Old 04-30-2003, 05:05 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML500
Another way the radar detector saves you money even with instant on....

I had just pulled out of my driveway and was starting my acceleration when the cop about 200 yards away started shooting me with his radar. I immediately let my foot off and luckily I was only 3 or 4 MPG above the limit.

If I hadn't had the detector he would have had me for sure - of course if he'd waited a little longer to shoot me, he'd still have got me with the detector.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

DAM.... the first road trip i take without my V1 and I get nailed... dam it.....

Thats almost a ticket every 2 years... thats what you get when you borrow your bro-n-law's whistler radar detector.... POS didn't even go off... the cop said, 'you have a radar detector and you didn't see me?'

88 in a 70 zone... do i contest? how do i contest?
Old 05-01-2003, 01:16 AM

CLK320 & SLK230
Originally posted by mikepa
Another way the radar detector saves you money even with instant on....

I had just pulled out of my driveway and was starting my acceleration when the cop about 200 yards away started shooting me with his radar. I immediately let my foot off and luckily I was only 3 or 4 MPG above the limit.

If I hadn't had the detector he would have had me for sure - of course if he'd waited a little longer to shoot me, he'd still have got me with the detector.
good for u , man
u can escape from a ticket with the detector
actually , i have one detector too , bought in 3 yrs ago ....
but i seldom use it
Old 05-01-2003, 08:15 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML500
Originally posted by mmgrad
DAM.... the first road trip i take without my V1 and I get nailed... dam it.....

Thats almost a ticket every 2 years... thats what you get when you borrow your bro-n-law's whistler radar detector.... POS didn't even go off... the cop said, 'you have a radar detector and you didn't see me?'

You had a V1 and you got nailed? The important thing to remember about radar detectors is that they don't make you immune to radar - they warn about it's use ahead. Unfortunately with instant-on radar the warning is sometimes too late. Still, with judicious use a good radar detector can still save you lots of tickets, especially around town where you will detect the use of instant on radar when the cop measures the speed of cars ahead of you.

The most dangerous situation for you is to have no cars ahead of you and a cop with instant on waiting for you. This is why other techniques such as using a rabbit (someone who is running as fast as you, but slightly ahead of you) on expressways is so important. Around town there always tends to be other cars ahead of you (in my way as I put it!).

One other thing a radar detector will tell you if a cop is shooting radar at you. So if you blast through an instant-on radar at well above the speed limit you know you’ve been nabbed. You can then make a better educated decision as to whether the cop will catch you if you keep going (assuming he doesn’t pull you over right then.) I’m not suggesting you run from the law, but he has to find you to give you a ticket. If you can blend into traffic and if the cop loses sight of you, you could claim that it wasn’t you who he nabbed. This of course may or may not work. If the cop sets up his radar trap half a mile before an expressway off-ramp near a shopping center, he’s asking for trouble.

As far as your ticket goes, go to one of these ticket lawyers who will represent you in court for $75. Many will get you off with a small fine – much less than the fine on the ticket, but even if they don’t, $75 is worth it for avoiding the hassles of dealing with it yourself.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:09 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK500
fighting the ticket

Assuming you can't find a $75 ticket lawyer, you can always appear on your own behalf. The way it works in most jurisdictions, you meet with the prosecutor before the hearing begins (usually in a backroom) and ask him to amend or reduce the charge. The last time I got a ticket, the prosecutor reduced my ticket just for showing up (I was doing 72 in a 40 construction area - doh!). In most cases your ticket will be reduced to zero or 2 points, a minimal fine plus costs. In my case this was huge, as my fine would have been approximately $300, plus I would have been paying an insurance surcharge for 3 or more years. ITS ALWAYS WORTH IT TO CHALLENGE YOUR SPEEDING TICKETS!!
Old 05-01-2003, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by mikepa
You had a V1 and you got nailed?

The V1 was in my CLK... I got pulled over in a LIME GREEN SLK (MB Loaner)

I might just see what a $75 lawyer might have to say. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2003, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK320, 2003 E320
Always fight your ticket!!

http://ticketassassin.com/
Old 05-04-2003, 05:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 162 Likes on 131 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
well, mine is simple, cheap and useless!
Old 05-04-2003, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 162 Likes on 131 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
close up of the piece of junk
Old 08-14-2003, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Smile WAHOO!!!!

I'm the happiest guy here... well, except for LAMAY who just bought a new SL... wait, she's not a guy anyways...

Anyways, I just got a letter in the mail, stating that the defendant (ME) has been found NOT GUILTY!!!

Cool.. I get my bail money back..

So, now the question is... do I take that money and go back to Vegas (thats how I got the original ticket)... or do I buy something nice for the CLK... although i think i know the answer already... go to vegas, win lots of money, and get myself a kleemann & buy everyone here Boba, right? OK!
Old 08-16-2003, 04:22 AM

A 2-Seater Roaster & A 4-Door AMG & 2008 S550
Re: WAHOO!!!!

How did that happen???? But that was a silly ticket to begin with....
BTW I'll be even happier if you know how to hardwire V1 on SL???
Old 08-16-2003, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: WAHOO!!!!

How did that happen???? But that was a silly ticket to begin with....
BTW I'll be even happier if you know how to hardwire V1 on SL???
ok... i will work on that one... i'll give you a buzz when i know I can master that install for you
Old 08-17-2003, 10:10 PM

CLK 430
Re: WAHOO!!!!

I'm the happiest guy here... well, except for LAMAY who just bought a new SL... wait, she's not a guy anyways...

Anyways, I just got a letter in the mail, stating that the defendant (ME) has been found NOT GUILTY!!!

Cool.. I get my bail money back..

So, now the question is... do I take that money and go back to Vegas (thats how I got the original ticket)... or do I buy something nice for the CLK... although i think i know the answer already... go to vegas, win lots of money, and get myself a kleemann & buy everyone here Boba, right? OK!
mmmmm....Boba
Old 08-20-2003, 04:53 AM
Almost a Member!

MB CLK 320 2000
Re: For those w/ Radar Detectors....

I just got my very first speeding ticket ....and hopefully last. I NEED a good "cop" detector to remind me to slow down.

Any recommendations? Where do you put your radar detector? Post picture if you can please!!!!

This is Mine
V1 never fails me period
Attached Thumbnails For those w/ Radar Detectors....-clk_aweinterior002edit.jpg