CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

anyone had this happen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
anyone had this happen

I was driving today and all of a sudden my check engine light came on but the car continued to drive normal. so when i arrived at my destination about 2 miles later i poped in my scanner and i got the following codes:

P0130 os sensor bank 1 sensor 1
p0400 EGR flow mulfunction
p1747

and the last code i have no idea because my code book didnt have anything past 1000. I erased all the codes and started the car back up and everything is normal. I haven't driven it yet but can anyone tell me why this happened and what the last code is because i don't know but i don't see the relevancy of O2 sensor and EGR valve. Thanks in advanced.

P.S. I read another thread about the P1747 and few people said it could be because of a faulty gauge cluster bulb, and one of my center bulbs went out day before yesterday and i haven't replaced it yet. is this really true?

Last edited by VIPclk320; 09-16-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 CLK430
The 1747 fault is I think.... a fault with CAN communication with the cluster and ESM(shifter). May have been a glitch, or maybe bulb/shifter related. The EGR malfunction could be the valve/solenoid and or the vacuum lines for it. It's seeing either EGR on when its not suppose to be, or not seeing the values it wants to see when it is activated. The O2 fault could be completely unrelated (does the scanner indicate when and what order the faults occured?). But it also may be related with the EGR due to the EGR being active(stuck open or closed) and there fore causing implausible values for the o2 sensor and setting a light for it
Old 09-17-2010, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by Ruination Fan
The 1747 fault is I think.... a fault with CAN communication with the cluster and ESM(shifter). May have been a glitch, or maybe bulb/shifter related. The EGR malfunction could be the valve/solenoid and or the vacuum lines for it. It's seeing either EGR on when its not suppose to be, or not seeing the values it wants to see when it is activated. The O2 fault could be completely unrelated (does the scanner indicate when and what order the faults occured?). But it also may be related with the EGR due to the EGR being active(stuck open or closed) and there fore causing implausible values for the o2 sensor and setting a light for it
Thank you so much for all the info. i had a long drive home and the light never came back on. so i gues we'll waite and see. but my ****er is the mechanical one pre 2000 models and i changed my gauge cluster about 2 years ago to the newer clusters thats just plug and play and changed all the cluster lights to LEDs and never had a problem untill today that the CEL came on but i guess we'll waite and see. do you think i may have to change the EGR valve?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 CLK430
The cluster fault may have been stored from the swap (from it being disconnected). I would wait and see if the code comes back for the EGR, if it does I would replace the EGR. I know the MBZ one comes with the solenoid as one unit, don't know about the.aftermarket ones.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by Ruination Fan
The cluster fault may have been stored from the swap (from it being disconnected). I would wait and see if the code comes back for the EGR, if it does I would replace the EGR. I know the MBZ one comes with the solenoid as one unit, don't know about the.aftermarket ones.
Thank you very much for all the info and the help. I drove the car really hard again this morning to see if it comesup again and nothing came up. like you said if it comes up again i'll change the EGR, I do have spare one and i dont imagine the job being that hard so more than likely i can change it out myself. it was just very strange that all those codes came up all at the same time. so my bet is on a glitch. once again thank you very much for the help i really appreciate it.