CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

1999 CLK 320 Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
1999 CLK 320 Problem

I loaned my sister my car last weekend and just realized yesterday while putting some CD's in the changer the top cover case "partition" for my convertible is gone. Now my top will not come down and simply blinks! I'm not a very happy camper right now. I was told the partition must be in place or the top will not work, is there a way to by-pass not having the partition?

I'm almost sure it has to be there but sometimes there are ways around everything.

Any help or advice would be great!
Old 09-18-2010, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK W208
Originally Posted by shawn941
I loaned my sister my car last weekend and just realized yesterday while putting some CD's in the changer the top cover case "partition" for my convertible is gone. Now my top will not come down and simply blinks! I'm not a very happy camper right now. I was told the partition must be in place or the top will not work, is there a way to by-pass not having the partition?

I'm almost sure it has to be there but sometimes there are ways around everything.

Any help or advice would be great!
I dont own a vert, but i remember my friend having the same problem and he put two paper clips in the slots where the partition brackets go into because i belive one of those slots holds a little switch that once the bracket is in it pushes the switch in and allows tells the system its o to pull the top down. the paper clips replicate the same action by simply pushing that switch/sensor. sorry couldnt be more helpfull with pictures and everything.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 174 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
When the partition is in place (i.e. up) 1 or 2 micro switches are depressed.

You just need to jury rig something that will depress and hold these switches on.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:11 PM

CLK 320
I found something that looks like a switch, are there 1 or 2 switches that you know of?
Old 09-18-2010, 05:11 PM

11 E550 Conv
are you talking about the cover in the trunk? that retracts like a roller shade, look up in there really good, maybe she just released it and it's retracted. if that is not what you're talking about, i'm not sure what part you mean.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 174 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
There is at least micro switch.

The partition normally pulls out on rollers. When I set it up to enable lowering the roof, this Spring, inadvertently, the wheel riding on the right rail wound up in the wrong place and did not activate the switch properly (e.g. the wheel needs to be under a plastic finger, not on top of it).

For clarity, that micro switch was on the right rail (e.g at the point where the partition goes vertical).

Logic tells me that there is only one switch associated with the roof basket however, check the same place on the left rail to be sure. Overall, there are two (e.g. the basket is properly in place and the trunk is closed).

PS...as previous poster already said, it would take a lot a doings for the partition-basket mechanism vanish (e.g. make sure it did not just hyper-retract).