CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help! What are the *widest* tires/wheels (18") that will fit W208 CLK w/no rubbing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't all of you just find out where it rubs and then modify
what has to be modified ?????

A good trick is to lift up the car, put a wooden block under the wheel and lower it again.
The wheel will now move to the stop and disapere in the wheel wel, keep approx 5 mm clearance to fenders bumbers gas tank, ect.ect. it's easy to see exactly where it rubs and make the needed mods.
Old 04-26-2003, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
hmmm.. i can see how convenient that would be. Let me see.... so lift the car with one hand, and with the other hand slide a wooden plank under whichever tire i think has the problem, or both may have it, but just to be sure i repeat this procedure for the other side. Then if rubbing is noticed, risk blowing myself up by maybe heating the inside plastic or what? Or just go to a repair shop and have all this done basically wasting alot of my time.

Or just refrain from sitting peoples FAT ASSES in the back!

The latter sounds more feasable!
Old 04-26-2003, 05:10 PM

I didn't say it was a job for amatures.

If any thing has to be heated, it's not with a blow torch, use a electrical heat gun with max 500 C.

What we do as proffesionals, is lifting up the car on a lift and lower it with a block under left front wheel and right rear wheel, when the job is done we take the next 2 wheels.

Take the advise or keep on rubbing tires
Old 04-26-2003, 05:37 PM

hinhin7

Rubbing near the gas tank, would mean rubbing on the inner side - right ???

Normaly using tuner wheels create rubbing on the outer side at the fender it self, to me it sound like your offset is to high which brings your wheel to far in - do you have pleanty of clearance to the fender ??? If you do you could use a spacer to push out the wheel, I think it was the question in your earlier post.

When you use a spacer, make sure you use a spacer which center
up the wheel in the center hole, if a dics type spacer is used the wheel will not center up in the center hole, this will give the wheel run out, because it's only centering up on the 5 bolts.
I think you can get the right spacers from H&R.

Another trick, take of the wheel, there will always be clear marks where it have been rubbing, if its inner plastic parts, heat it up with a hot air gun and bend it away while the plastic is hot, let it cool down an take off the squeeze.
If it's metal parts use a plastic hammer and bend it, if it's the fender, the paint has to be heated up to 2-300 degree C and carefully use a plastic hammer or a fender roller, heating up the paint will prevent it from cracking ( This is not for amatures ).
When I fit the very large size wheels/tires, I sometimes lay out the fender 15-20 mm ( 3/4 " ) without sending the car to the paint shop.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:49 PM

MB
Yeap... sorry I got a typo in my earlier post...

"Lucas, if you got the wrong offset, let say its bigger (supposedly the correct offset for your car is 30mm, but you have 35mm offset wheels), shouldn't a 5mm spacer fix everything? "

in other words, is a 35mm offset wheel with 5mm spacer = a 30mm offset wheel?

I think I got a problem with the front tires rubbing the struts and the rear tires rubbing the plastic panel (inner). But, when my Dunlop tires arrive, Ill see if the problems still happen.

It is nice for you to have all the tools you need (to roll the fender)

Thanks Lucas,

Solihin
Old 04-26-2003, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by Ted Baldwin

................sorry I run 235/40/18 in front and 265/35/18 in the rear

Ted
I run the same size Pilot Sports on '00 SL500 wheels with no rubbing or rolling with factory ride height.