CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 CLK 430 w/5.4 swap, 2000 CLK430
Springs

I know this is asked a ton, but I'm looking to lower my 2001 430 coupe. I'm looking to have the front resting just above the tire (just about a finger width). the rear perhaps a little bit higher. Is this possible through springs? I looked at H&R as well as Eibach. Which do you recommend? Am I missing some others that I should consider?

thank you for your patience
Old 10-22-2010, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
HR the aggressive one, and u can change the pad as well bro.
get #1 pad from E320 on your car and when u go to dealer, tell em u have a 2001 e320 and u want #1 pad all around front and rear.
but its always wise TO CHANGE YOUR SHOCKS AS WELL WHEN LOWERING THE CAR DUE TO PRESSURE FROM THE CAR AND U NEED A CAMBER KIT AS WELL.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mine no pads metal to metal with HR aggressive drop and it will look like mine
but if u get #1 pad, u will have the look what u want
Attached Thumbnails Springs-cold-005.jpg   Springs-cold-006.jpg  
Old 10-22-2010, 05:35 PM

Thanks! I like your cars height but its a tad bit too low for me. What shocks do you recommend? those weren't something i was planning on because my current budget doesn't allow it. are there many people that don't change the shocks or is it too risky? perhaps this project will be suspended (pun intended) for a while. also with this kind of a drop will 19s still fit or will i need to drop to 18s?

sorry for all the newbie questions.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
You might check out Vogtland as well. Made in Germany under $240, 6 weeks delivery time. they advertise a 1.4" drop which compares to the one of the H&R kits but H&R does have a kit that drops 1.9" if you want to get that aggressive. I've read that Eibach is a progressive rate spring meaning the more they are compressed the stiffer they get so you have a smooth ride until you get agressive. and big mike is right that you will have to get adjustable camber bars for the rear and adjustable camber bushings for the front or you will wear out tires. ghostrider from this forum makes custom kits.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 PM

does anyone know about the Koni shocks? stay away or a decent buy for the money?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mrfajita1989
Thanks! I like your cars height but its a tad bit too low for me. What shocks do you recommend? those weren't something i was planning on because my current budget doesn't allow it. are there many people that don't change the shocks or is it too risky? perhaps this project will be suspended (pun intended) for a while. also with this kind of a drop will 19s still fit or will i need to drop to 18s?

sorry for all the newbie questions.
i have koni adjustable shocks and they are amazing ....
some peeps keeps their stock shocks but eventually they will blow and u will be paying twice for labor. its better to get it all done at the same time.
i have 19 on my car and U need to take at hte DEALER for alignment. i took it to 4 different shops and my front kept on rubbing. took it at the dealer and not a single prob bro.
u HAVE TO HAVE CAMBER KIT, OTHERWISE U WILL NEED TIRES EVERY 2 MONTHS..

Last edited by big_mike1979; 10-23-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
and big mike is right that you will have to get adjustable camber bars for the rear and adjustable camber bushings for the front or you will wear out tires. ghostrider from this forum makes custom kits.
i agree ^^^^ or kmac is where i got mine from
Old 10-23-2010, 03:54 AM

contacted Ghostrider. turns out he's local so thats a big help.

thanks for all your help guys.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
Mel/ghostrider is the bombdigadie!
Old 10-23-2010, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Mel/ghostrider is the bombdigadie!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
I stand behinde ghostriders products a 110%.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:48 PM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
You might check out Vogtland as well. Made in Germany under $240, 6 weeks delivery time. they advertise a 1.4" drop which compares to the one of the H&R kits but H&R does have a kit that drops 1.9" if you want to get that aggressive. I've read that Eibach is a progressive rate spring meaning the more they are compressed the stiffer they get so you have a smooth ride until you get agressive. and big mike is right that you will have to get adjustable camber bars for the rear and adjustable camber bushings for the front or you will wear out tires. ghostrider from this forum makes custom kits.
Im running Vogtland and Koni sport, love it. You can't got wrong with either one Bilstein or Koni. I went with Koni due that the initial compression (@meduim setting) is softer over Bilstein, its hardness curve is alot steeper. You could revalve Bilstein shocks to you liking, if you like to tinker some and dial your in shocks just right Koni is the way to go as they are adjustable.
Vogtlands are progressive they are a longer spring that supposedly thier selling point, resulting longer range of shock control...yadda yadda...they work great either way. Im have a 1.2" gap im runinng #3 or #4 pad, i'll step down to #1 pads when change my bumper.

sig pic the car is on a hill car is leaning to right.

Last edited by GiZzO; 10-23-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
"Vogtlands are progressive" No disrespect GIZ but when I talked w/Vogtland NA they said they were not progressive. I'm confused.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:06 AM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
Yep your right!

Product Characteristics: The spring kit is intended as an all-purpose street and track performance enhancement product. When a vehicle is equipped with Vogtland Club Spec springs there are several elements that improve the overall handling. Vogtland lowering is designed to take advantage of the existing suspension geometry and to optimize the relationship of the roll center axis relative to the center of gravity of the vehicle. The amount of lowering improves the appearance of the vehicle and provides the best compromise between the ride and performance handling characteristics.

Vogtland’s ICS (Inertia Control System) technology is utilized to provide a non-compromising performance ride. By utilizing “compound rate” springs the unsprung mass of the vehicle is controlled and the inertia of the suspension components do not exceed the springs’ capacity to control the jounce loads, hence eliminating the requirement for excessive spring rates. The initial rate is designed to provide the O.E. spring pre-load when the suspension is at full rebound. When the suspension is functioning in its normal operating range the springs “compound rate” provides a controlled performance ride but offers enough compliance to maintain occupancy comfort for street use.

The working range of the spring provides for predictable linear rate increase during the compression stroke. This eliminates unpredictable handling characteristics (i.e. corner entry understeer and corner exit oversteer) normally associated with a progressive spring. Vogtland’s optimized spring calibration also reduces the pitch of the vehicle under heavy acceleration or braking. The increased rate of the springs reduce the load transfer to the front tires during heavy braking this reduces the longitudinal pitch of the vehicle, resulting in improved overall braking efficiency.

The proportionate increase in spring rate also reduces body roll, which limits adverse suspension movement. This confines the suspension geometry to stay within parameters that enhance the tires contact patch relative to the road. The result is improved vehicle cornering and handling, because front and rear tire loading is more evenly distributed. Therefore, higher cornering limits can be achieved because the built-in understeer characteristics are reduced and provide for a more neutral yet safe handling vehicle.

These springs are manufactured utilizing Vogtland’s proprietary suspension grade “VVS” spring alloy. Vogtland’s VVS alloy is used exclusively in all our race spring applications. Vogtland’s racing springs are used by all of the most respected Winston Cup Teams such as Dale Earnhardt Inc, Hendrick Motorsports, Robert Yates Racing, etc. By using “VVS” we can reduce the spring weight up to 30% over conventional suspension spring materials. This results in reduced unsprung weight and reduces the suspension inertia allowing the suspension to react more quickly to road surface irregularities, hence providing additional traction.
-----

Its confusing if you look at a pic of a Vogtland spring its tighter and the top and more spread out at the bottom of the coil. According to this it performs "like" a linear spring but kinda is not. Its thier own wierd monster of spring coil tech.

Purple Vogtland, red some Linear spring. Spring rate aren't as hard as H&R but are generally not as soft as Eibach springs, so your feel will be inbetween those two, pick your preference.

Last edited by GiZzO; 10-24-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
great post and very informative. the fact that factory teams use Vogtland seals my decision.