CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Electronic Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 230
Question Electronic Key

Hi Everybody. Just bought my first CLK 230K and love it to bits. However I have a problem that nobody seems to be able to solve for me. Neither Smart Key will turn in the Ignition Slot but strangely the Emergency Key will start the car. I can open it with either Smart Key but have to use the flat emergency key to start the car. Any help gratefully received. Cant be the EIC can it ? Wouldn't start with emergency key either then would it ? Thanks in advance fellas.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
Did you take it to the dealer? You may need a tea bag to answer because we don't have 230s in the states. Are you saying the metal blade key will start the car? I don't believe that works in NA cars.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 PM

w208 CLK430, w212 E350, w221 S550
no i think he means the spare key we have(the extremely flat one) is the only one that would start the motor, where the remote key can open the door but not start the car.

I think you just need to take it to the dealership and have the program/reprogram it. I lost my key before and they had to reprogram it in order to start the car cus theres a chip in the key. Same thing with my GF's BMW 3series key, we ordred a new one, it would open the car but wouldnt start it and we had to take it to the dealer to reprogram. Hope that helps good luck
Old 10-25-2010, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
this is what might be the issue:

Each smart key even though programed to the same car has a unique serial number. Sometimes when a person looses one of their keyes they take it to the dealer to get a new key and what the dealer does is erase the code for the lost key out of the computer and put in the new serial number, this is purly for safty reasons. Mercedes made it this way so a key can be de-activated out of the cars ignition system without the key iteself being present. It takes to steps to de-activate the key 1st step is the alarm(door and trunk pop) and the 2nd step is ignition start. if the dealer or a mechanic with telstar deactivated the 2nd option then you will have the exact same problem as you are having.

or the second issue could be that the chip that holds the serial number for the ignition start is damaged. The starter chip and the door and trunk control operate on different chips, thats why if you take the batteries off out of the smart key you wouldnt be able to lock and unlock your doors or opo the trunk but you can still start the car and thats because the starter chip is purly a recognition chip and doesnt need power to work.
sorry if i confused you but hopefully this helped you to knwo what to ask the dealer to check.

best of luck.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:17 AM

clk 230
Thanks for the replies fellas. What was really throwing me was that both master keys will not start the car but the electronic spare key that we have in the U.K. will. Must be the keys not the EIC but BOTH ? Hell of a coincidence and still expensive to sort. Thanks again.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:40 AM

2012 C63
Have you checked the batteries in the keys?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:50 AM

clk 230
Yes Joe, but the batteries are only for the central locking. The key should still start the car even if no batteries are in the key at all. Thanks anyway buddy.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
Originally Posted by Maz Jones
Yes Joe, but the batteries are only for the central locking. The key should still start the car even if no batteries are in the key at all. Thanks anyway buddy.
Exactly, no battery power needed for engine start. have the dealer check the key codes in your ingnition control and ECU.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:27 PM

clk 230
Thumbs down

Thanks VIPclk320 but I dont think it can be that because the Spare electronic key that comes with the car works fine, its just the Smart keys that have the Central locking on as well that will not turn in the ignition hole. Cheers Maz.