CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK320 maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK320, ML550, SL55, GL450
CLK320 maintenance

To help potential/current CLK320 owners - References for parts sourcing.

Background:
So I just bought a W208 1999 CLK320 at the end of January 2011.
under 100k kms on the odometer but no real traceable records of maintenance at the local MB dealers. So to be prudent, I take the following actions after browsing this forum:

I take it to the local Indy shop and they wanted $3600 in parts and labour to do all of the following maintenance:

1) Oil + filter change
2) Transmission oil+filter+gasket change
3) Rotors and brakes, 2 sensors and a brake flush
4) Coolant flush, rad cap, thermostat and temp sensor(?)
5) Tie rod assembly, steering damper and steering gear box(?)
6) Spark plugs
7) Fuel filter
8) Cabin/Air filters

I obviously declined and subsequently sourced the parts from the following websites:

1) Spark Plug wrench and gas filter cap wrench - Ebay seller SG-Motorsports
2) Steering damper, trans filter/gasket/washer/adapter plug w. O-rings, fuel filter, hose pincher set - AutohausAZ (free shipping!)
3) Rad Cap, Thermostat/gasket, oil filter - Mymercedesparts.com
4) Brake pads w/sensors - Tirerack
5) Brake Rotors, Tie rod assembly - Mercedesparts.com
6) Liquids, Cabin/air filters, spark plugs - local parts stores (Lordco, Canadian Tire)

In the end, with various labour sources (other indy shops, paid friend's of friends) it looks like I will get all the services done for about $1500 net. (I will still need an alignment after replacing the tie rod assembly and steering damper)

I'm still missing the temp sensor (because I don't know what it is and where it goes) and the steering gear box (because I'm going to try simply torquing its bolts down first instead). Other than that.. it looks like all the major service items are covered (fluids changed, filters changed, brakes replaced and slushy steering corrected).

I hope this helps any DIY person thinking about buying a CLK320!

Cheers!

Last edited by B-tsai; 02-09-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Hey man, thanks for replying to my thread. I have a couple of questions I am wondering: Does the the transmission oil+filter+gasket change require a lift and remove the engine? How long does the repair on this take? I'd like to see a picture of that area.

For the repairment on the steering, can you fix that on your own? I'd also like to see a picture of that area, too.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 CLK 320
Hi, I just bought a 99 as well with 57k on it and almost all the maintenance myself. I first took it to the dealership to get the trans flushed as you have to have some specialized equipment. I used a coupon I found on this site ( https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/396688-mercedes-service-discount.html ) that saved 100.00 which knocked it down to 130 with tax. Well worth it. I changed the oil myself with 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40. and used a Mann oil filter for 11.00 online. Flushed the radiator and filled with Zerex G-50 that was about 15.00 per bottle (you'll need 2) and a few gallons of distilled water to flush the system with. It holds 9.5 quarts. Next I drained the rear differential ( you'll need a 14mm HEX key got mine at AutoZone for like 10 and BE SURE TO OPNEN THE TOP FILL PLUG FIRST! because if you the bottom one out first and can't the top one out you will drain all the oil and won’t be able to fill it.) and filled it with Mobil 75-90 full synthetic oil ( 1.4 quarts ) for about 8.00 a bottle. I just changed the steering dampener myself for 80.00 from the dealer. That was real easy as it only has to bolts and is located under the car in the center of the suspension and you won't need a re-alignment for that one part but you will for the Tie rod assembly.

1 is your rad cap and thermostat and sensor bad? or are they just doing it to be on the safe side?

2 do the cabin air filter yourself. You can get it for about 20 at most auto supply place and there is a DYI for it.

3 spark plugs do yourself there are plenty of DIYs on this forum for that as well fuel filter which is located by the rear diff.

Also try this site https://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/home.jsp
As it have a lot of diagrams of the motor and the parts. You'll need your vin# and it's not the easiest thing to use.
Hope the helps anybody.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 CLK 320
Originally Posted by AMG_BENZ
Hey man, thanks for replying to my thread. I have a couple of questions I am wondering: Does the the transmission oil+filter+gasket change require a lift and remove the engine? How long does the repair on this take? I'd like to see a picture of that area.

For the repairment on the steering, can you fix that on your own? I'd also like to see a picture of that area, too.
Look here....

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...8-how-tos.html